1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Hanging shirts with French (double) cuffs

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by alchimiste, Feb 17, 2005.

1. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior Member

When you have shirts with French double cuffs on hangers in a closet, what do you do to the cuffs? do you unfold them? or do you fold them with links? or fold them without links?
    The latter would keep them in shape. I would use lights links for this, not heavy metallic ones.

Mathieu

2. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Senior Member

When I get them back from the dry cleaner, they have little plastic clips on them keeping them folded. This seems like teh best way to me.

Dan

3. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior Member

That's also what I tend to do (although I have to McGuyverize the clips since I iron them myself.)

4. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Distinguished Member

I leave them unfolded. And I iron them "flat", not cuffed. I don't think it's the right way to do it, but I don't like "creased" double cuffs.

.luc

5. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I used to do them as Luc does, but have started creasing them, which seems to be the standard way of doing it. Is not creasing them acceptable ironing behavior?

6. johnw86

johnw86 Senior Member

I'm with Luc. Iron flat and hang unfolded; then I create the fold when I put on the shirt and attach the links.

(My thinking is that ironing flat is less stressful on the fabric than ironing in a folded crease.)

7. jester

jester Senior Member

Same here. I don't want the fold to be enforced with an iron. And cuff links? Shouldn't that be something that you choose when you're about to wear it, not when it comes out of the wash?

8. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Don't iron the crease in. Besides leading to quicker fraying, it will help set any ring-around-the-cuff that washing didn't take out, that otherwise might be removed easily later. Plus, it's just one more very visible place to easily over-iron and end up with shiny spots or scorching. That much fabric thickness doesn't allow much forgiveness.

9. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I find that if you let the laundry fold the cuffs, they fold them in the wrong place at least half the time. Then the fold sets, and when you correct it, there is an unsightly, additional crease. I ask them to leave my cuffs flat.

10. Renault78law

Renault78law Distinguished Member

Hmmm, I didn't know I'd be in the minority here.  I iron my own shirts, and generally press the cuff folded.  What looks better...the roll or the crease?

edit: you guys press the collar, right? the arguments against pressing the cuff seem to argue against having the collar pressed as well...

11. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Distinguished Member

As stated in my original post, I prefer the roll to the crease.

What do you mean by "pressing" the collar ? I iron my shirts, and I iron the collar flat as well, from the inside, just like the cuffs.

.luc

12. 4Mica

4Mica Senior Member

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011

13. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I fold the collar down and press it folded from the inside, because otherwise they often don't stay folded properly. I rarely wear a tie, so keep that in mind. Nothing worse than the flattening disco collar syndrome.

14. johnw86

johnw86 Senior Member

I'm with Luc and 4Mica on the collar. Iron flat--but I do fold it down on the hanger--and then adjust after I've added the necktie.

15. Renault78law

Renault78law Distinguished Member

Very interesting. I'm going to try the collar thing...