• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hang up the suit jacket when I get to work?

sdsurfer

Reaction score
I started a new job and wear suits to the office. One question that popped up in my mind was is it ok etiquette to take off and hung up my jacket once I get to my work station? I would think so, but want to confirm.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sdsurfer
I started a new job and wear suits to the office. One question that popped up in my mind was is it ok etiquette to take off and hung up my jacket once I get to my work station? I would think so, but want to confirm.

Absolutely. I work in a formal environment and even the CEO takes his coat off. No one wears a jacket at their desk.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My jacket comes off first thing and I don't put it back on unless I have visitors or I leave the floor/building.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dos this apply at resturants too? Because I'm the only one in my group of friends who leave my jacket in the cloakroom before we are seated. I don't like any table mishaps falling onto attire.

cpac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flame
Dos this apply at resturants too? Because I'm the only one in my group of friends who leave my jacket in the cloakroom before we are seated. I don't like any table mishaps falling onto attire.

No.

You should absolutely keep you suit jacket on while dining.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yikes. Guess I'm not so well-versed as I thought. Although the idea of wine stains bother the heck out of me.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cpac
No.

You should absolutely keep you suit jacket on while dining.

What he said^^!

cpac

Reaction score
Yikes. Guess I'm not so well-versed as I thought. Although the idea of wine stains bother the heck out of me.

Stains bother everyone - the solution? Don't spill.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whilst I would NOT trust it to cloak room staff as a principle take it off it you feel comfortable and it is appropriate for the place and the people you are with.

There is too much rigidity in old fashioned dos and dont's. Circumstances dictate.

cpac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Whilst I would NOT trust it to cloak room staff as a principle take it off it you feel comfortable and it is appropriate for the place and the people you are with.

If the restaurant is nice enough to have a coat check, it's appropriate to keep you suit coat on while dining.

If you're just going down to the corner deli, taking the jacket off might be excusable.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I keep my jacket on throughout the day at my desk. I really dislike the shirt and tie but no jacket look. It looks very half hearted and unfinished to me.

I was in the top restaurant in our neck of the woods a year or two back with my wife. I noticed that most of the men had taken off their jackets. I just felt like giving them a good cudgelling!
mad.gif

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Your office is your business, unless there are some serious folkways established about not removing jackets.

Dining out is another issue. Unless it's very hot or informal or both, leave the jacket on.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I was in the top restaurant in our neck of the woods a year or two back with my wife. I noticed that most of the men had taken off their jackets. I just felt like giving them a good cudgelling!
mad.gif

Jan, considering your line of work, your fellow diners should consider themselves fortunate that a cudgel was the only weapon you thought of brandishing.
smile.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Didn't you know? Fused garments are bad for the digestion.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Didn't you know? Fused garments are bad for the digestion.

Ladies & gentlemen, here we see the unfortunate results of fused suits. Friends don't let friends get fused suits!
creosote.gif

laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads