• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Handmaking Silk Ties

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience making seven or six fold ties by hand? I was thinking that I would like to try my hand at it, possibly as a senior project because I would like to do it either way.
Advice, comments, please share.

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone?

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of my ties are made in Italy right now, but I have made 6 and 7 folds before. I actually think pure 7 folds are easier to make by hand than regular ties. I think this is due to the fact there is less material to work with(ie. no lining and backing). The tricky part is really getting the folds straight, but if you have a good pattern to work off of, it's a piece of cake (well not really, but it is much easier). The only downside is 7 folds use so much silk, there almost no room for error. If you mess up on the cutting for instance, you've ruined the whole tie and wasted $35 bucks in silk. And with most silk being milled at a max of about 12 yards, there's a chance you will never be able to get that pattern again. Ben folds made a fantastic guide and building 7 and 6 fold ties here: http://sevenfoldties.reflexblue.org/...stepbystep.php

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, yeah I had stumbled upon that site previously, just looking for additional comments and tips.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gravitas
Does anyone have any experience making seven or six fold ties by hand? I was thinking that I would like to try my hand at it, possibly as a senior project because I would like to do it either way. Advice, comments, please share.
Gravitas, We make bespoke 6 and 7 fold ties by hand daily and I would strongly suggest that you perfect your 3-fold ability first. Being able to make your own pattern is part of the process as it helps you get a feel for what will work correctly. The real secret is to go very slowly and pay attention to all the small details. Good luck and please post your results.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads