1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

"Handmade Shoes for Men" by Vass & Molnar

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kaplan, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Francisco D'Anconia

Francisco D'Anconia Senior member

^^ What do you find lacking about it?

I'm not really looking to know every detail about how to craft shoes, just some insights.

But I'm hoping to get some educated advice on shoe maintenance and learn a little about the various shoe types, their history and intended uses.

Would you say it delivers on those subjects?

I have this book,am very fond of it, and recommend it to anyone who's interested in how corwainers make handmade shoes.

But if you're looking for a primer on shoe style identification and suggestions on what shoes traditionally go with what other pieces of a man's wardrobe, this book is not it. as alternates, I suggest Gentleman by Roetzel or Dressing The Man by Flusser as an initial primer. Roetzel is reproached for Church's-o-phelia and it's legitimate that Churches are over-represented in his book. But he still gives a good basic introduction to shoe styles and what each is usually worn with.

2. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

^^ I have Roetzel's book and should propably get Flusser's.

As some have said, "Handmade Shoes for Men" is pretty cheap, so I think I'll just get it.

Thank you for the replies.

3. marblehouse

marblehouse Senior member

I found this book in a furniture store a month back for $2 even.

With all the discussion, I thought some users might like some pictures,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I recommend.

4. carl_muffin

carl_muffin Member

I am just reading this book and am finding it very informative.

Are there any other publications that are similar to this that are available if so could you let me know so I can look into purchasing them

5. ajv

ajv Senior member

That book is very pleasant, lots of informations and I have on my bed-table and pretty often have again a look at it.

Another good book, but I am not sure it exists in english is the following :

Petit traitÃ[​IMG] de haute cordonnerie, par Alain Madec (1999)

6. carl_muffin

carl_muffin Member

Thanks for that I'll see if I can get a cheap copy as long as it has some good pictures as my French was last practised at school [​IMG]

7. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

You can probably find it on ebay for 5 bucks. recommended.

8. talldesk

talldesk Well-Known Member

Yes, I recommend it.

9. magogian12345

magogian12345 Senior member

I have it in English and in French (gift from brother). Great book - discussion of various makers could benefit from an update now

The linked to version is from 2008. Is your version the one from 2000?