• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Handmade MTM in London

Nadal

Reaction score
Hello.

I am a Poole customer for work suits and Green for work shoes.

I want to buy a suit in a super 130s because I will not wear it often thinking about handmade MTM instead of bespoke. Chester Barrie and Hacket offer full canvas MTM for £1600, Gieves & Hawks £1800 for full canvas MTM and Italian handmade MTM for at least £2000. A super 130s cloth will be more but comparing standard prices to see price difference with bespoke.

Does anyone know any good handmade MTM suits in London that are worth looking at?
I can fit into RTW, bespoke fit is better. Is it worth going to Chester Barrie, Hacket and save £1300 or go to Poole?

Thank you.

Nadal.

butterflystyle

Reaction score
Bespoke fit better than RTW?

FLAME.

Nadal

Reaction score
Hello.

In Spain, I only purchased RTW suits. When I moved to London, I looked on Savile Row and liked Poole. I wanted black and grey but Poole said navy and grey were better and I listen to them.

Poole suit fits better. RTW jackets were a little baggy at upper back and arm sleeves long. The store in Spain, shorten arm sleeves and finish trouser hems for me.

Because I am will not be wearing the suit all the time, I think MTM could be better because it is cheaper.

Thank you.

Nadal.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about off-Row bespoke? There are a few tailors in London who will do full bespoke for £1200 or less, e.g. George's. On the lower end of the scale price-wise there's also Cad and The Dandy who now offer an option which much more handwork on their MTM, though I'm not sure how much of it is done in the country as their cheaper suits are all made in the far east somewhere.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might I mention Connock & Lockie on Lamb's Conduit Street, London. For the price you state you could get a very well made fully bespoke suit there. They used to make JFK's suits, and the handwork on their garments is excellent.

This aside, why not shop around for Savile Row MTM. Poole are quite expensive, but for the price some of the other houses, such as Steed, offer a similar service for less.

Nadal

Reaction score
Hello Sanguis Mortuum.

I moved to London in 2008 and do not know all the English shops.

Are off row tailors for £1200, the same quality as £1600 MTM?

I would like to spend under £2000, £1000-£1500 would be better. Otherwise I get another suit from Poole. Lower then £1000 I am not sure if I would like quality.

Thank you for you help.

Nadal.

Nadal

Reaction score
Hello Ich Dien.

I will look at Connock & Lockie. I do not know that area well but I will ask work friend for help.

Poole are not that expensive, they are cheaper then Huntsman, Gieves & Hawks and some others to. I choose Poole because I like their style and the people best, so for me Poole was first choice. I found Mayer on Sackville Street and they were cheaper but I liked Poole better.

I do not remember Steed which number are they?

I did look at MTM on Savile Row. Huntsman MTM is to expensive, Gieves & Hawks have two options, Chester Barrie and Hacket looked good. Richard James looked similar to Gieves & Hawks.

Thank you for your help.

Nadal.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Kilgour's MTM has gone up in price, but still might be worth looking at.

Nadal

Reaction score
Hello Concordia.

I do remember Kilgour next to Gieves & Hawks, it looked like a designer shop but I will have a look next time.

Thank you.

Nadal.

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by butterflystyle
Bespoke fit better than RTW?

FLAME.

I dearly and sincerely hope you are kidding, butterflystyle!!!!!

Otherwise you are seriously stoned (but clearly NOT on marijuana, otherwise you would talk such imbecilic filth)!!!!!

LeonM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nadal
Is it worth going to Chester Barrie, Hacket and save £1300 or go to Poole?

If you have established a relationship with a firm, i personally would continue it. The results will only get better. Unless you are unhappy with the results, or you want something that Poole would not offer stylistically.

Leon

jon5986

Reaction score
I have tried Henry Pool, Huntsman and A&S. I personally love A&S, but I'm a person on loyalty, therefore love A&S. I like the cut and style. But each to their own.......

Nadal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeonM
If you have established a relationship with a firm, i personally would continue it. The results will only get better. Unless you are unhappy with the results, or you want something that Poole would not offer stylistically.

Leon

Hello Leon.

I am very happy with my Poole suits.

As I will not be wearing the suit a lot, I was thinking MTM could be better choice. If I do not like MTM then get suit made from Poole.

Nadal.

LeonM

Reaction score
Fair enough. But from your original research and subsequent posts, no one in London offers handmade MTM. How many "short cuts" are you prepared to tolerate with this seldom used suit? Leon

Nadal

Reaction score
Hello.

Gieves & Hawks say Italian MTM is handmade but I do not know how much. Looking online Chester Barrie has hand work but again I do not know how much.

A colleague said Kilgour have China bespoke I will look next time when I look at Steed.

So far look like I will go back to Poole. I looked at Brioni MTM but for price Poole better.

Nadal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads