Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Handmade Leather Artisan

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Obbi, Oct 25, 2009.

1. celery

celery Senior member

Ah, this is the thread to post in, me too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's one of my latest, I'll be back when I've made more things.

2. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

a crude [photo-chopped] visual of my next perforated MTO Mids:

[​IMG]

3. hollowsleather

hollowsleather Senior member

4. larryO

larryO Member

Hey guys, here's a belt I made today. Only my second project with stitching. Kind of unhappy with the stitch holes. Large and doesn't look very clean . What do you guys use to punch stitching holes? I'm using the Craftool Diamond Hole Punch 4 Prongs 3/32" bought from Tandy. Suggestions? [​IMG]
    I would suggest a shoulder pressed burnisher to compress the epidermis and define the stitch line, then a pricking iron (or chisel) along the impression (you can modify it if you are making a lot of belts). The pricking Iron is used light enough to make a surface impression, but doesn't actually make the holes.

After gluing (or clamping), I'd place it into a set of clams and do a traditional saddlers stitch - which awls through each hole just prior to stitching it. There are a few books / manuals which cover this pretty good, PM me if you want a list.

Your side whip stitching looks nice!

5. palma

palma Senior member

@Hollow.

Are you taking orders on belts and bracelets yet?

6. iroh

iroh Senior member

I had the opportunity to make a watch band finally:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

are you also making these for sale? if so how much, shipped to canada?

7. Bash!

Bash! Member

Thank you for the advise zissou an larryO! Working at it. Made a card holder the other day (going to post some pics later). I really need to get an awl. The punch isn't cutting it. Obbi...the work you're putting out is sick! [​IMG]

8. Bash!

Bash! Member

More practice with my stitching. Here is a cardholder that I made the other day using 5oz english bridle. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Ndure

Ndure Senior member

Very much nice work here. [​IMG]

10. darkarmour

darkarmour Member

Hello leather artisans, I'm hoping one of y'all can help me.

I have a crocodile leather bifold wallet that I would like (1) resized to be smaller, and (2) reconstructed internally with high quality materials. I don't know if this is even possible, but I figure it's worth a shot to ask.

Currently, the size of the wallet is 3.75 x 4.5 inches. I would like it resized to 3.25 x 4.25 inches. That's really my only strong request--with everything else I am flexible. I'd definitely hear out whatever internal design, materials, and edge finishes you'd suggest. So, basically, I figure you'd have to use a seam ripper and tear up the stitching until you have a rectangular piece of hide, and then go from there. I could be completely wrong and be missing something, though.

If this sort of modification project is impossible, would anyone here be willing to take on a project involving making a crocodile leather bifold from scratch?

11. zissou

zissou Senior member

I decided to put some small scraps of Chromexcel to good use. I think I'm going to have to order more tan and some black in the near future. It's so nice to work with! [​IMG] I also made a 1" belt with an oval buckle. In the next week or so, I'll make one for myself in 1.5" leather that tapers down to 1" at the buckle... [​IMG]

12. Obbi

Obbi Senior member

Looking good everyone, nice work [​IMG]

CP TONED LONDON TAN MID WALLET
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CP TONED CHERRY RED MID WALLET
    [​IMG]

CP TONED BLACK MID WALLET
    [​IMG]

CP TONED BROWN MID WALLET
    [​IMG]

13. somatoform

somatoform Senior member

I decided to put some small scraps of Chromexcel to good use. I think I'm going to have to order more tan and some black in the near future. It's so nice to work with!
    [​IMG]

I also made a 1" belt with an oval buckle. In the next week or so, I'll make one for myself in 1.5" leather that tapers down to 1" at the buckle...
    [​IMG]

Nice work, Zissou. I love the clean lines of your stuff - clean cuts, nice burnishing, finished backs, nice even stitching.

What kind of leather are you using? And you have any plans getting into tooling/stamping/carving?

14. zissou

zissou Senior member

Thanks very much! To be honest, I like making unadorned items. That's not to say I won't get into tooling, but I don't have much interest at the moment. Once my life settles down next month, I have several other belt designs and other itens that I want to try out.

At the moment, I am using rather high quality natural veg tanned leather from Europe, but that card case above is made from Horween Chromexcel that is actually waxed on the flesh side. It's meant to be used like a waxed suede, but I made that case with the grain side showing. I'll try making a rough out case this weekend. I'm thinking that I just might switch to all Chromexcel for card cases and key chains for a while.

15. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

Is it possible to make a braided/woven belt out of rawhide?