Handmade Leather Artisan

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Obbi, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Obbi

Obbi Senior member

So much for guys leathercrafts, starting to do some full range of ladies leathercrafts. Very interesting, gotta think from female perspective when designing.

Using Pink leather on a common design
    [​IMG]

Pink leather with interesting stamping
    [​IMG]

Made of soft Nappa leather, folded edges, no rough edges visible.
    [​IMG]

Natural Veg Tan Hand Bag!
    [​IMG]

2. Bash!

Bash! Member

This might invoke some [​IMG] faces from you guys, but today I made a Yoga mat harness from some veg tan straps I had. I'm happy with the way it turned out. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Obbi

Obbi Senior member

^ no man, BASH!
    It is an innovative design to me [​IMG]

Since there are discussion about Cordovan recently, we did something different, no we do not have horse-hide yet, but we sure can get plenty of lambskin [​IMG]

Mixing LAMBSKIN on the external and NATURAL VEG TAN for internal set-up, we have made some mid size wallet.
    Somehow, it does have a similar flavour as the cordovan leathers, but more affordable [​IMG]
    Top grain and awesome texture and grains, I really wonder how it will evolves in a few years time.

TAN LAMBSKIN
    [​IMG]

BROWN LAMBSKIN
    [​IMG]

INTERNAL
    [​IMG]

FIT
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. ScottDCP

ScottDCP New Member

You have quickly become the one person I have very nearly met who might be able to answer this question. I am interested in having a wallet made, based on the Filson Passport Ticket Wallet, but of a different dimension and different number of card pockets.

http://www.filson.com/products/leath...let.65207.html

I'm looking for the leather to be soft. What category or type or grade or sort of leather should I be looking for? Filson uses their bridle leather, but a much thinner variety than on their belts, it seems. If not, yikes. I've heard of garment grade, but not of wallet grade. Should I be looking at garment grade leather? Or will that stretch and make pouches?

5. mikecch

mikecch Senior member

^ Butting in before the professionals answer your question.

Beware of "100% bridle leather", as many US makes use that term to describe the "bridle" leather they get from US tanneries - the quality does not compare to the authentic/true bridle leather made by British tanneries or finished by British curriers.

Just make sure to clarify where the leather comes from when asking for bridle.

6. distinctive

distinctive Senior member

^ Butting in before the professionals answer your question.

Beware of "100% bridle leather", as many US makes use that term to describe the "bridle" leather they get from US tanneries - the quality does not compare to the authentic/true bridle leather made by British tanneries or finished by British curriers.

Just make sure to clarify where the leather comes from when asking for bridle.

Well, there is American bridle and there is English bridle. English bridle is the gold standard (i.e Sedgewick). Bridle is not a soft leather by any means.

For the other gentleman's question, I might recommend goatskin or pig skin if you are looking for something with a softer temper. You will need something with at least a bit of stiffness for the card-holders

7. mikecch

mikecch Senior member

^ Haha, in my opinion there is true British bridle and moc-British bridle [​IMG]

Btw, Sedgwick is a currier of bridle leather, they don't actually produce them (they finish off the leather, so to speak).

8. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

Quick question - I have a belt with Chicago screws securing the buckle. I want to swap out the current buckle with a different buckle. When I try to loosen the screws, the base just turns with the head.

- How do I loosen these?
    - Will I have trouble tightening them again after I've loosened them?

Thanks in advance.

9. zissou

zissou Senior member

^You have to hold the side without the slot against your thumb as you unscrew the side with the slot. They work just like nuts and bolts- you can definitely reuse them. Be sure to tighten them up tight or they might slowly back out [​IMG]

10. ScottDCP

ScottDCP New Member

Thank you, good sirs. Most helpful.

11. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

^You have to hold the side without the slot against your thumb as you unscrew the side with the slot. They work just like nuts and bolts- you can definitely reuse them. Be sure to tighten them up tight or they might slowly back out [​IMG]
    Looks like I got it, thanks! [​IMG] I was trying to do that earlier, but I guess they were screwed in really tight, because it was still slipping against my thumb. I managed to unscrew them by pushing really hard against the slide without the slot with a rubberband between my thumb and the side of the screw to prevent slippage.

12. alexanduh

alexanduh Senior member

bash nice job on the d ring belt.

13. Obbi

Obbi Senior member

Garrison Buckle Belt.

Newly acquire this solid brass Garrison buckle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Obbi

Obbi Senior member

15. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

Some evo pics of a card case that I made almost exactly one year ago. Photos are new, 6 mo, 12 mo.
    [​IMG]

Awesome.