• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Handmade Hard-sided Luggage

ViceroyRW

Reaction score
Hey StyleForum! I've been a long time lurker and decided to sign up to ask the hive mind for help. I want to make my own luggage case much like the LV Azler 80 but I cannot for the life of me find instructions anywhere online on how to construct one. I was hope some of you might be able to push me in the right direction....

This is the style I'm wanting to build:

I saw some artistic videos on Youtube showing how the luggage is made but it's very vague. Is this doable or have I hit a dead end?

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you any good at woodworking, leather working and brass working? ....preferably to an artisan level.

Last edited:

ViceroyRW

Reaction score
Are you any good at woodworking, leather working and brass working? ....preferably to an artisan level.
Not at all...I guess I'm naive to think that I can do what an artisan can do but it'll just take me way more time? It doesn't seem that complex to be honest..

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you could start with some cardboard boxes and LV pattern adhesive backed vinyl? :)

I could always ask some friends in Guangdong Province, how they make the knock-offs.

Last edited:

ViceroyRW

Reaction score
I don't wanna make a fake Louis Vuitton. I want to make a luggage case based on the style with a high quality leather instead of the feminine monogram waterproof canvas . The cardboard sounds like a good idea. If you're serious about your friends in China, I would love to hear about how they do it!

ViceroyRW

Reaction score
Perhaps you could start with some cardboard boxes and LV pattern adhesive backed vinyl?
smile.gif

I could always ask some friends in Guangdong Province, how they make the knock-offs.
I don't wanna make a fake Louis Vuitton. I want to make a luggage case based on the style with a high quality leather instead of the feminine monogram waterproof canvas . The cardboard sounds like a good idea. If you're serious about your friends in China, I would love to hear about how they do it!

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
If you want to make them using leather your going to have to learn to hand stitch as a first step. Unless you use full thickness bridle leather you'll also have to learn how to use cedar or something similar to make a frame and then stitch lighter leather over the top but through the wood. The trade used to use grey board with a leather skin as way of using thiner and cheaper leather and also to make a lighter case. Its a very arcane and nearly dead trade making leather suitcases by hand properly, I only know one man still doing it properly and he tends to make briefcases rather than suitcases. I'm not sure even SAB etc still make them. Hope you manage to make some headway!

Charlie

ViceroyRW

Reaction score
If you want to make them using leather your going to have to learn to hand stitch as a first step. Unless you use full thickness bridle leather you'll also have to learn how to use cedar or something similar to make a frame and then stitch lighter leather over the top but through the wood. The trade used to use grey board with a leather skin as way of using thiner and cheaper leather and also to make a lighter case. Its a very arcane and nearly dead trade making leather suitcases by hand properly, I only know one man still doing it properly and he tends to make briefcases rather than suitcases. I'm not sure even SAB etc still make them. Hope you manage to make some headway!
Charlie
This is incredibly insightful...I don't know about stitching through wood though...I saw the artistic LV video and saw they glued the canvas to the frame and reinforced it with upholstery tacks:

This is the one where they use tacks....

This is the one where the show the gluing process at 2:40...

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Mike has been a little harsh, I can fully understand someone wishing to build a solid luggage piece in the old SAB/LV style.

To be honest, you may have better luck looking up tutorials on building "trunks". They will be essentially the same, but with altered dimensions. I doubt there are many out there though, there is a reason that the craft is nearly dead and well made ones cost thousands of dollars.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads