• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Handmade goiser shoe technology on video

MarcellHUN

Reaction score
I made this video about goiser stitch. Not really a "stylish" shoe, but a very strong, durable construction. I hope you will enjoy.

Harry Lean

Reaction score
EXCELLENT!!! very very informative. One of the best videos l have ever seen.

andyw

Reaction score
Outstanding information, thanks.

Here's a pair of bespoke boots from Peter Limmer & Sons, Intervale, NH. circa 1978 ........not stylish either but resoled twice and many trail miles later, still going strong.

Harry Lean

Reaction score
l could watch that video 100 times. l'm going to hand stitch my own shoes one day. l will hand carve a feather and everything.

Harry Lean

Reaction score
Does stitching the welt in the right place require high skill Marcell? From your video it looks very easy to mess this step up (2:59 onwards on video). lf you stitch it too high or too low, won't this result in major problems? Must take some practise to do right.

H.

kngrimm

Reaction score
Holy wow... may I ask how many hours it takes to complete one of these shoes?

Thanks,

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wonderful, Marcell. Thanks for putting this up for us. I had a couple of questions that occurred to me as I was watching the addition of the outsole. After putting in a filling to the skivved-out sole and heel areas, the maker then stitches on (to the welt) what I thought was going to be the outsole. However, after that stage (at about 6:45 of the video), he applies glue and attaches another sole--obviously the actual outsole. Two questions: Is the first sole what we might term a midsole? Or just the first of a double-sole process? Second, it wasn't clear how the second (outsole) was attached. Is it just glued (that's all we see), or is it stitched as well?

MarcellHUN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Harry Lean
Does stitching the welt in the right place require high skill Marcell? From your video it looks very easy to mess this step up (2:59 onwards on video). lf you stitch it too high or too low, won't this result in major problems? Must take some practise to do right.

H.

If you put the stitch to an other line, it can look ugly on the shoe. Good news: it is not a hard job to find the right place. Practise is needed anyway.. But you can get it.

MarcellHUN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kngrimm
Holy wow... may I ask how many hours it takes to complete one of these shoes?

Thanks,

In the master exam, we have two complete days to finish only one. On my shoemaking course I will also show the complete procedure in this time. I would say in case of goiser, 4-5 workdays are needed, without the upper-making.

MarcellHUN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
Wonderful, Marcell. Thanks for putting this up for us. I had a couple of questions that occurred to me as I was watching the addition of the outsole. After putting in a filling to the skivved-out sole and heel areas, the maker then stitches on (to the welt) what I thought was going to be the outsole. However, after that stage (at about 6:45 of the video), he applies glue and attaches another sole--obviously the actual outsole. Two questions: Is the first sole what we might term a midsole? Or just the first of a double-sole process? Second, it wasn't clear how the second (outsole) was attached. Is it just glued (that's all we see), or is it stitched as well?

Huh.. so many question in an old topic..
smile.gif

Yes it is a double sole construction. Normally the classic method is, when you stitch it, with a single stitching line, so the welt, middlesole, and outsole will make 3 lines of stitching. What I did on the video is the spinning stitch - only two lines of stitch, but with a spinning, and the outsole attached with glue. Good and strong consrtuction and easy to repair (even for a cobbler, who is not familiar with the handmade stitches), very stong looking and decorative.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads