• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Handmade clothes vs. factory-made

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Labels like to advertise when their clothes are handmade. Rag & Bone and Band of Outsiders come to mind. Both like to point out their relationship with Martin Greenfield Clothiers, for instance, which makes a lot of their suits by hand. I'm always curious to know how much of a difference that makes.

First off, beyond increasing the labor costs and putting a premium on clothes, what value does handmaking clothing add to the clothes themselves? Do they drape significantly better? Do the seams last that much longer? If you start with a high-quality fabric, does it matter if it's sewn together by hand or not?

Second, if clothes aren't handmade, then how are they made? I presume in a factory, but if anyone happens to know exactly what that means then please enlighten me. For example, are J. Crew's chinos put together by machines in a factory in China somewhere? It seems more likely that their chinos are put together by actual people using their hands (though still in a factory in China).

YuppieSkuppie

Reaction score
I have no input from the clothing industry, but I work in the bike industry and there is a similar trend... everyone tries to emphasize the artisanal aspects of their frame building, especially if they're welded in the USA/Canada/England/Holland; however, the best quality frames are coming off highly automated assembly lines in Taiwan. Sure they're still made by hand, but because everything is so compartmentalized and they have the added volume for extensive testing, they are so much better than most of the non-boutique builders in the West.

GlenCoe

Reaction score
It’s all about individuality. Handmade clothes are being done old-fashioned way because there is a belief that it is better – it lasts longer, it wears better and it works. If you compare two garments made in say Turkey and England, the difference is significant because the labour in England is more skilled, has better working enviroment, the quality control is more strict etc.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GlenCoe
If you compare two garments made in say Turkey and England, the difference is significant because the labour in England is more skilled, has better working enviroment, the quality control is more strict etc.

Pretty sure it depends on the individuals constructing the garment, not just the country of origin.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
As I recall, handmade refers to one person constructing the piece from start to finish vs. a setup like an assembly line where one person is in charge of a single detail and does that all day. Kind of like how Astons are built by one very skilled mechanic, but it isn't like he's using all hand tools or anything

Still have to be careful though, I've seen more flaws in handmade garments than non

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Martin Greenfield Clothiers is a factory. It's a factory in Brooklyn, but it's still a factory.

YuppieSkuppie

Reaction score
Another advantage of handmade (in bicycles and clothes) is that it can respond to changing demands more quickly. Small outfits will always have more modern geometry and stuff first, which the big factories will then adopt and test and produce several years later.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All good points. I would think automating as much as possible would improve quality and reduce costs. Or maybe that's just my brainwashing from having grown up in the homeland of Ford Motors.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
handmade is a vague term.

My clothes are made by hand. Even though sewn by a machine. A human is doing the sewing. a facory good is when an actual machine sews the garment by its self.
The human error and ability to make judgment calls is what really is great about handmade goods.
That's why shuttle loomed denim is so popular. It's the character ( flaws, slubs) that makes the fabric beautiful.

My suits are literally sewn by hand( the parts that need it. I.e. button holes, lapels, sleeves and arm holes, lining..etc). It takes a long time to make one and you want someone knowing what they are doing to do that for you or you will get a ****** end result. A machined good looks flat and that looks like garbage too.
Machines, computer, and a lack of understanding for a descent wage are killing the fashion business as I want to see it. A lot of steps that were once used to make nice clothing are skipped over. People don't appreciate and don't know what they are missing.
I am not the best person to answer this question because I am narrow minded in thought and think everything should be done the old fashion way unless technology can make the old fashion way even better. However in most cases in the clothing industry that isn't the case.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'll make you some **** by hand. you ain't gonna like it though.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are any SW&D clothes really handmade?

Anna M shirts that MC dudes wear are like 800 dollars and are significantly handmade

acl1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro
handmade is a vague term.

This is especially true for knitted garments and accessories. "Handmade" can indicate handloomed or handknit, or any single part in the process of creating the item that involves a person. IME, if a label just states "handmade," it's probably the third possibility.

max b

Reaction score
some words about this :
1 if you want something unique can't be industrial, only by hand you can have all the special details you want
2 More the process is industrial, more profit has the Company producing; so most of time the construction of the cloth is simple as possible. All little changes are big problem for the production chain
3 you have different level : industrial, Made to Measure, bespoke...unfortunately I'm not so expert to explain all the difference between these different way of producing, but of course you can clearly see the difference between them comparing a jacket constructed by machine and one hand made.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
Pretty sure it depends on the individuals constructing the garment, not just the country of origin.

1000000000000000000000000% true

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very good points. I think when you say machine-made goods look "flat" you're exactly right. Handmade stuff--assuming the person putting it together knows what he/she is doing--generally has a sense of texture and dimension that you don't see as much in machine-made clothes. It may only be a small difference, but I think it's noticeable, even if you don't realize you're noticing it.

Decent wages for workers is a whole other issue. At least if I buy a pair of handmade Rag & Bone pants I know they weren't made by some kid in a sweatshop working 12-hour days for $.50/hour. That's not to say that all clothing that isn't handmade comes from sweatshops, but the problem is that it's impossible to know where the hell it comes from. That little tag that says "Made in China" doesn't really tell you that much.

Originally Posted by Mauro
The human error and ability to make judgment calls is what really is great about handmade goods.
That's why shuttle loomed denim is so popular. It's the character ( flaws, slubs) that makes the fabric beautiful.

... A machined good looks flat and that looks like garbage too.
Machines, computer, and a lack of understanding for a descent wage are killing the fashion business as I want to see it. A lot of steps that were once used to make nice clothing are skipped over. People don't appreciate and don't know what they are missing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics