• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

handicapped people for an afternoon in Manhatten

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my mom's 80th birthday is coming up. I am taking her and my siblings to Manhatton, basically for an afternoon. in the 50's and early 60's she lived and worked in manhatton (sort of mad men meets little house on the prarie meets fidler on the roof). she is pretty much imobile - she can walk a block or so, and that's about it. I wanted to take her to a few of the old haunts that she used to hang out in, but they aren't in business any more. my ******* sister keeps kosher, so that limits our eating possibilities. so here is what we were thinking:

maybe 2nd ave deli (kosher) for lunch
visit her old college (colombia) my ******* sister thinks that she can arrange a tour of the rare books part of the library. not that exciting, but it will make my ******* sister feel like a big shot, and that is easier than her getting a job or having kidsor having her husband not be a bum or any other worthwhile pursuit, so I figure why fight it?
a buggy ride in central park - expensive, but I believe that she said she has never done it, and it doens't involve walking
maybe visit the old apartment she lived in on riverside drive
maybe visit the zoo in central park, where she used to take my brother when he was a baby

any other suggestions for a handicaped person in manhaton that might be fun? or for kosher food?

thanks

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since you are on the UWS, have you considered going to Barney greengrass? Their smoked sturgeon is amazing. Not sure about the kosher requirement but given that it is an old time smoked fish place on the UWS, it might fit your bill.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Since you are on the UWS, have you considered going to Barney greengrass? Their smoked sturgeon is amazing. Not sure about the kosher requirement but given that it is an old time smoked fish place on the UWS, it might fit your bill.

cool, nothing my mother likes better than smelly fish.

keep the ideas coming, thanks !

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Is halal the same thing as kosher? If so, I think coldarchon knows some spots.

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jesus Christ, GT, could you possibly lace your post with more disdain and content for your sister? I now know the wrath of GT is even handed and not reserved for those pesky Palestinians.

Last edited:

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score

Jesus Christ, GT, could you possibly lace your post with more disdain and content for your sister? I now know the wrath of GT is even handed and not reserved for those pesky Palestinians.

Columbia is synonymous with pesky Palestinians.

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I go to NYC all the time and never took the buggy ride until last year. My wife hasn't stopped talking about it. It is actually quite enjoyable.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

hell, there are a lot of palestinians that I like a lot more than my ******* sister. as a matter of fact, one of our big arguments was over that I had set up my wedding rehersal dinnner in a palestinian resteraunt in east jerusalem (back before intadadah II) and she was concerned over the kashrut issue.

it's just one of those things - she makes any of these type of family get togethers difficult, because she can't just sit back and let the competant people run things, she wants to get in the way.

and, ****, I possitivly love my sister when you compare her to my ******* MIL.

Last edited:

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I go to NYC all the time and never took the buggy ride until last year. My wife hasn't stopped talking about it. It is actually quite enjoyable.

cool, thanks. anything else you did that was memorable?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love riding the ferry to Staten Island and back if the weather is nice. You get to see those beautiful city and water views. I think it may be one of the most under appreciated attractions in NYC. Its also good for someone with mobility issues. They get to sit and enjoy the ride.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads