• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Handcrafted shoes - what does it mean?

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've seen this in a couple pairs of shoes of mine including a pair of Grenson masterpieces as well as a 'Bench made' pair of Barries. I guess it can be a very vague term and is designed to make the shoes sound more attractive. Does anyone have anymore information please?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At some point, somebody did a manufacturing operation by hand. Beyond that, no real specific industry wide definition that I'm aware of.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
With shoes, more than anything else, claims of 'handmade' or 'bench made' or 'hand crafted' etc. should be taken with a grain of salt. In nearly every case, it means the shoes were guided by hand through a variety of machinery, with perhaps a few steps in the finishing process done by hand.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
In general, puffery. Next they will claim the shoes were made with "rich, Corinthian leather..."

Claudio

Reaction score
All of the above really.
I make shoes (well, I design them and then have them made but local company) and have the 'Handcrafted in Italy' label inside them (the makers axctually place that). Infact it can mean many things and in my case means that it was made by little local artisan company, made in limited quantities, and as said guided by hand through some machinery, and in many cases hand finished. Emphasis in this case is that it being a limited production company it still gives the attention and care to its product that is usually reserved to totally hand made shoes; this same attention is something rarely seen in the big, mass producing shoe companies. I have an old man which actually TOTALLY HAND MAKES some shoes for me and he doesnt print anything on the inside except his label.

The same can be said for the MADE IN ITALY logo: it can be made by local italian companies, it can be made in italy by cheap chinese manufactures, or it can be made in romania and then finshed in italy (this is especially true with clothing) with soemthing very minor like adding bottons to a shirt - and gets the Made in Italy label (most major brand companies do this). Don't kid yourself, most of the major big ($$) brands are not made in italy even if they say so (this doesnt necessarily mean they are low quality mind you)

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
In general, puffery. Next they will claim the shoes were made with "rich, Corinthian leather..."

Brooks Brothers is now claiming shoes made with "Spazzolato" leather (and some pretty expensive luggage, too). Don't exactly know the origins of this (appears to have something to do with the quality of the shine), but BB is certainly charging a premium for it.

Rolo

Reaction score
My Italian is a bit rusty, but I think spazzolato means "brushed."

However, the PAZZO in the middle of sPAZZOlato means "crazy".

Rolo

Chris "Italia"

Reaction score
True Handmade Shoes: Kiton? John Lobb? Edward Green? Lattanzi? Santoni Handmade Collection?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chris "Italia"
True Handmade Shoes: Kiton? John Lobb? Edward Green? Lattanzi?
kinda, no, no, yes.

Chris "Italia"

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
kinda, no, no, yes.

According to you, Matt, Lattanzi is the only true handmade shoe.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chris "Italia"
According to you, Matt, Lattanzi is the only true handmade shoe.
No. Just from your group. There are tons of handmade shoes out there. JL Bespoke is handmade, not the RTW line.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Lobb St. James and Amesbury are all handmade.
smile.gif

The construction difference between EG and Kiton is not necessarily vast.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Made in Italy means the cops spotted you in Italy in the past tense.

Duveen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
Brooks Brothers is now claiming shoes made with "Spazzolato" leather (and some pretty expensive luggage, too). Don't exactly know the origins of this (appears to have something to do with the quality of the shine), but BB is certainly charging a premium for it.

The luggage looks nice on the site, particularly the docs bag. Too bad it has wheels, which I think detracts significantly from it. Also too bad it costs $2K+. Wonder if it will go on steep discount???

I didn't see any spazzolato shoes, just some shiny ones.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads