• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Handbag for the GF?

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My GF is in the market for a handbag but isn't super knowledgable about them. She has plenty of money but just isn't the kind of person who is going to leap for a $2000 LV (thank God). I told her there must be an Allen Edmonds type of bag maker out there, not as expensive as something like Edward Green but then again not something a shoe lover is going to look down their nose at.

Are there any brands out there that make a quality product where you aren't paying a $500 premium for the label? I saw in another thread Bottega Veneta was mentioned. Any others?

Sweet spot on price would probably be $200-400, maybe a little more if she really fell in love with something.

m_wave

Reaction score
Not sure that I would want my girlfriend wearing the Allen Edmonds of handbags...

How about Chanel or Givenchi?

cheez80

Reaction score
i picked up a nice ferragamo bag for the gf last year, at the vegas boutique. i think the retail price was around 650, but it was on sale for 450 or thereabouts.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am sure there are good handbags (quality and stylewise) out there that aren't the ubiquitous fashion brands. I don't know them though because most women I know only talk about Chanel, LV, Fendi etc. whether real or fake. They all scoff and donney & burke and coach.

Edit: Maybe Longchamp may be worth looking into.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i got the wife a kale leather handbag last year. it was $600 or so i think. she was adamant she didn't want some overly adorned or over-monogrammed logo cluttered abberation.

lithium180

Reaction score
I think the leather goods maker Floto makes really nice handbags at reasonable prices (200-400 USD). The leather quality is really nice and it looks and feels great in person.

I own their 'Venezia' weekend bag and I've gotten compliments on it from every person who's seen me with it.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You guys are looking at this **** like buying a pair of shoes. Women (and GoSurface) are different, particularly when you are talking handbags. No women that I know wants a handbag that will last forever, it's all about what is hot at the moment. GoSurface is the man here, but even if she is not brand conscious, I would not deviate from YSL, Gucci, Chanel, Marc Jacobs, Dior or Tods. Luella Hartley stuff was hot a few seasons back and I think Balanciaga is the "it" bag now, at least that is how my wife justified her stupid bag purchase.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't Bottega start around $900, unless you are getting a tiny clutch?

There really is nothing women want for under $800.00. To spend $200-$500 on a bag which she will not like is a waste. And I have to agree, these $500 fashion-trash bags like Marc Jacobs, Coach, Stella Mccartney are complete garbage.

Get something else, like a wallet, pair of shoes ($500 shoes gets you pretty much the most coveted shoes in the world like Louboutin, Manolo, etc), earrings, etc.

If you really wanted to spend $300-ish on a non-flashy leather bag, you should go to one of those stuffy english leather makers we men like and have them make something.

But, women would never do this, there is no value in a no-name bag.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m_wave
Not sure that I would want my girlfriend wearing the Allen Edmonds of handbags...

+1

Originally Posted by Tarmac
There really is nothing women want for under $800.00. To spend $200-$500 on a bag which she will not like is a complete waste. And I have to agree, these $500 fashion-trash bags like Marc Jacobs, Coach, Stella Mccartney are complete garbage.

I have to disagree with you here. Coach can have some really great deals (women know how to find these) and with certain stackable discounts you can get a premium one they have for really cheap.

Marc Jacobs (not their marc by marc line that caters more to teenage and young women) has some very luxuriously made and substantial handbags. the designs are coveted by women and rival those of Chloe although i dont know if that means anything

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend really likes Ferragamo and Duchamp.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Get something else, like a wallet, pair of shoes ($500 shoes gets you pretty much the best womens shoes in the world), earrings, etc.

Shoes have been my staple gifts for some time. I love going to Bergdorfs, checking out all the hot chicks (customers and associates) and then having the sales girls gushing about how sweet and nice I am buying shoes for my wife. There is a cute girl on the 5th floor that is the same size as the missus and I would have her try the shoes on for me and walk around a bit. I'd then smell the shoes before I got home
inlove.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads