• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hand-sewn buttonholes

stylenewbie

Reaction score
So I'm still a little confused about hand-sewn buttonholes. I had read somewhere that a working buttonhole has the hole cut out first and then the stitching done around the whole. A machine-made buttonhole has the stitching done first and then the whole punched out. However in my Castangia suit, it looks very much like the stitching has done first as you can still see a bit of the fabric in the middle of the stitches.

IMG_1370.jpg

There appears to be a small amount of fabric in the loop

IMG_1356.jpg

IMG_1367.jpg

Reverse side

IMG_1374.jpg

The lapel hole has not even been totally punched out.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What's the ?

spidercan

Reaction score
What about it does not appear hand-sewn? (unfortunately I am still not too clear on the differentiation) Is it the excess fabric or something else. I had heard that Castangia makes such a nice buttonhole that it sometimes appear machine-made; could this be the case?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scohrdarkshadow
What about it does not appear hand-sewn? (unfortunately I am still not too clear on the differentiation) Is it the excess fabric or something else. I had heard that Castangia makes such a nice buttonhole that it sometimes appear machine-made; could this be the case?

It's a machine made buttonhole. Why do you care so much, though?

- B

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
It's a machine made buttonhole. Why do you care so much, though?

- B

+1

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scohrdarkshadow
I own one.

Castangia makes some of the better looking RTW out there, and if you like the cut of your jacket on you, buttonholes are among the last things that I would let trouble you.

- B

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't understand all the fuss about handmade buttonholes until I saw this.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylenewbie
I had read somewhere that a working buttonhole has the hole cut out first and then the stitching done around the whole. A machine-made buttonhole has the stitching done first and then the whole punched out.
Machines can be set to do either- stitch first and cut after or cut first and stitch after, though the former is more common.

Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
I didn't understand all the fuss about handmade buttonholes until I saw this.

I still don't understand all the fuss......

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
I still don't understand all the fuss......

Well to be honest, I (still) don't put a premium on the fact that they're handmade. I don't believe in artisanship for the sake of artisanship...

I'm just struck by how great they look. The fact that they are handsewn just makes it all the more impressive. I mean, if the machine sewn buttonholes the alterations tailor I've used offers looked that good, I'd be pretty damn happy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads