• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hand Rolled Edges - Do they really matter?

deepitm

Reaction score
All,

Pardon the potential naivety, but what is so special about hand rolled edges on pocket squares? Should I really care? Is the quality really better? Is there an easy way to tell if edges are hand rolled? What should I be looking for with regard to indications of quality? Thanks.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Once you realize there is a difference between the two, you will care. Machine stitched edges look cheap and lifeless.

Handrolled hems have inconsistent stitches, and a plump hem. Machined are flat and lifeless, and make you want to hide them in your pocket, rather than expose them.

Uncle Ernie

Reaction score
They're noticeable nicer. They also give PS edges a higher inertia modulus!

JJGooden

Reaction score
I wondered if the same thing, about if they mattered, when we were sourcing them for Maxton Men. Then I looked at some that have flat edges that were machine-sewed, and quite honestly, they reminded me of table napkins. Casey's "no, but yes" seems spot on.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Once you realize there is a difference between the two, you will care. Machine stitched edges look cheap and lifeless.
Handrolled hems have inconsistent stitches, and a plump hem. Machined are flat and lifeless, and make you want to hide them in your pocket, rather than expose them.

Is there actually such a thing as a machine-rolled edge? Usually "machined edges" means flat sewn, and look awful.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To 99% of people out there - no it doesn't matter and they will never notice.

To the 1% on SF - yes, it matters and they will notice.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Is there actually such a thing as a machine-rolled edge? Usually "machined edges" means flat sewn, and look awful.

Thats... what I said? :confused:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thats... what I said? :confused:

Trying to ask if there are machine rolled edges, as contrasted to flat stitched machine sewn edges. There's an obvious contrast between a flat machined hem to a hand rolled hem, but machine rolled (if it even exists) vs hand rolled? I don't know.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it totally matters and makes all the difference in the world.

I have a fetish for ties with hand finished tips.
I have an Attolini tie that has the most amazing hand rolled edge....every time I wear it, I get tons of comments on how beautiful the tie is and in particuar how it is finished.
I have a tendancy to stare at hand rolled edges....yummy.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quote:
it totally matters and makes all the difference in the world.
I have a fetish for ties with hand finished tips.
I have an Attolini tie that has the most amazing hand rolled edge....every time I wear it, I get tons of comments on how beautiful the tie is and in particuar how it is finished.
I have a tendancy to stare at hand rolled edges....yummy.
Is it pink?

Quote:

Lovin' the flow of events here... haha!!!!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics