• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hand-made Shoes in Sydney?

Wade M

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

It's getting very close for me to get a new pair of shoes. I've spent enough time on these forums that I'd like to get a pair of hand made shoes. I've had a quick look in the conservative business dress and other then Bally came up empty (Ralph Lauren almost laughed at me for my question if they stock any). Google has let me down also.

Where are the places that stock hand made shoes in Sydney?

Thanks in advance,
--Wade

Newton

Reaction score
Are RM Williams handmade?

Either way, Sator is your man. PM him if he doesn't stop by this thread.

Aus_MD

Reaction score
Try Harrolds & Henry Bucks.

John Cutler supplies Edward Green.

Wade M

Reaction score
Not too sure on that one Newton, very easy to check out tho - thanks!

Aus_MD, any chance I can get a bit more info on where those places are?

Cheers,
--Wade

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newton
Are RM Williams handmade?
Depends on what you mean by handmade. I would definitely say yes RMW boots are handmade. But if you are really stringent on the definition then you would have to say no to RM Williams as well as Edward Green, John Lobb, or for that matter Santoni 'fatto a mane' just to name a few. True fully 'handmade' high end RTW shoes are a rarity which is why Vass is held in such high esteem on this forum. However, the waviness and lack of absolute mechanical precision in the way the RMW finish the slightly rough looking channel stitching cries out handmade to me, for it looks a little like the wavy channel stitching on the Vass shoes I got from Germany (don't even think about going to the US for buying them) . Generally I buy dress shoes when I go overseas. It is too hard in Australia and RM Williams is like an oasis in a desert. John Lobb started his business in Sydney and things have never been the same since he left I fear. Otherwise: There is a place in Chifley Plaza upstairs from RM Williams which stocks a small selection of Santoni. Harrolds on Elizabeth St has already been mentioned. http://harrolds.com.au/ Vince Maloney has a small stock of Fratelli Rosetti too. http://www.vincemaloney.com.au/home.html The George St David Jones for Salvatore Ferragamo Tramezzas (their ONLY worthwhile range) and the Zegna section of the same store for Zegna shoes. There is a store in the Strand Arcade which stocks Church's and Loakes. I would also check with Hermes whether you can order a wider range of John Lobb Paris shoes than the tiny selection they have in stock which carry the Hermes label but look for all the world like Lobbs (nb Hermes owns John Lobb Paris). John Cutler is inside Henry Bucks on O'Connell St: Ground floor, 23-25 O'Connell St T: 612 9232 7122 F: 612 9223 4535 http://www.cutlerbespoke.com/

Wade M

Reaction score
Thanks Sator, I think this thread can be closed, your investigation seems extensive :0

--Wade

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One more thing just for those of you who think that RM Williams are unworthy of being counted amongst the great RTW bootmakers of the world: This comes from this book: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/3894...992897-8379224 It is a German book running to 559 pages devoted entirely to men's shoes. And yes Australias own RM Williams scores a considerable mention for the old fashioned blocking technique they use to make the upper. So old fashioned and time consuming that neither Edward Green nor John Lobb employ it in their RTW boots. The chart shows the number of steps in the manufacture of many well known high end shoes. RM Williams is at the bottom but they are definitely on the international map as far as high end footwear goes. BTW I would take these numbers with a pinch of salt for it does not take in account the complexity or time taken for each step. Also it will depend on whether you included every trivial 'step' or not and the method used to count numbers of steps is not listed.

Zubberah

Reaction score
Andrew McDonald makes MTM shoes and is very well known and frespected. From website:

Andrew McDonald shoemakers tailor shoes and accessories for men and women.

No matter what the style, we make footwear to fit - prescription orthoses, extra wide, narrow, or short feet.

We also create special event footwear to match a theme or outfit and bridal footwear with extra fine beading and jewelling detail.

The craft in shoemaking is not only in making the shoe comfortable, but creating a shoe that is stylish and long wearing transcending the visccitudes of time.

Fittings are by appointment only and can be arranged by telephone, email at [email protected] or visiting our boutique:

58 William St
Paddington NSW 2021
10am - 6pm
Monday - Saturday

Telephone/Fax: +61 2 93586793

For custom made shoes a series of three fittings is generally neccessary. (This can vary according to each individuals requirements ). Each fitting takes approximately 20 minutes.

Style Selection , Measurements and Quote
At your first fitting it is advisable to bring along a much loved /worn pair of shoes for a fitting assessement, a colour swatch to match your leather and an idea, photo and or illustration of the shoe you would like made.

At this fitting you will be given a quote based on a combination of the style , measurements and materials. With a 50% deposit of the quoted value, you are on your way!

2. The Pullover Stage

This is when the shoe is partly made, so we can adjust the fit and style on the foot.

3. The Final Fitting

The third and final fitting examines the finer details of fit and appearance. At this stage your shoes are completed and ready for wear.

Pricing

Mens

Shoes from AU$1600
Boots from AU$2000

Womens

Shoes from AU$800
Boots (ankle height) from AU$1200
Boots (knee length) from AU$1600

These prices are meant only as a guide and are not indicative of every custom order .

http://www.andrewmcdonald.com.au/custom-made

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Um, is this correct???
confused.gif

He came here during the Gold Rush. He even patented a method of concealing gold nuggets in the boot. Eventually Lobb won an award at a major London exhibition whereupon he moved back to London to found his now famous bootmaking business.

schanop

Reaction score
A parallel question, is there any recommended cobbler in Sydney?

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by schanop
A parallel question, is there any recommended cobbler in Sydney?

You mean simple stuff? I go to Fred Ayoub (Sullivans Shoe Repair) at Wynyard Ramp near the back elevators to Clarence. His family members also own the Milson's Pt Railway Station shoe repair shop that has a magnificent German shoe stretching machine. It does widths at the lacing level for instance which is normally impossible. I gace him a pair of Edwin Clapp vintage 1940 captoes to stretch today...FWIW that were a little narrow and he confirmed he can stretch them...over a few days

Fred (who worked for them) tell me that one half of the Perkel Bros is still making shoes in Surry Hills FWIW and does complex cobbler stuff like relasting etc Edmonds style.

Harry Lean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wade M
Hi Guys,

It's getting very close for me to get a new pair of shoes. I've spent enough time on these forums that I'd like to get a pair of hand made shoes. I've had a quick look in the conservative business dress and other then Bally came up empty (Ralph Lauren almost laughed at me for my question if they stock any). Google has let me down also.

Where are the places that stock hand made shoes in Sydney?

Thanks in advance,
--Wade

Nothing worthwhile in Sydney or Australia that l know of. Andrew Mc Donald lacks the experience. He worked at Lobb for short while, but he doesn't have much experience in handmade shoes. Best to forget about getting good shoes made in Australia.

H.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads