• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hand made shirts

intfxdx

Reaction score
What are the brands, like Borrelli and Kiton, that makes hand made shirts ? The fit of hand made shirts is just incredible. I have shirts from Borrelli ( more than 10), 3 Kiton, 2 Charvet, 3-4 lorenzini, i just realized that the fit of borrelli and kiton is far better than charvet ore lorenzini although they are also well regarded shirt makers. From now on, i am thinking to buy only hand made shirts, i appreciate, if you can give me some more brands like them. Thanks

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a hard time believing that the method of stitching really affects the fit that much.

intfxdx

Reaction score
well, maybe it's just an impression for me but i am convinced that especially at the chest and armhole level, fit is really different, maybe the cause is not just stitching but another factor, i am not expert in the subject but i think so as well, but i like much my borrelli and kiton shirts than lorenzini or charvet.

sns23

Reaction score
Different companies fit differently because they are different shirts.

Romain

Reaction score

So the fact that sleeves are attached by hand to the shoulders does not have any effect on the fit ?

They may feature higher armholes, and then allow more move for your arms.

By the way, are you sure that Charvet are not hand made? :eh:

Last edited:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Charvet , the RTW ones that I bought are not "entirely" handmade as far as I can tell - certainly the button holes were machine made. They have MTM options that are aparently higher end, but I have never seen one. Regardless, they are great shirts with / without handmade button holes.

As for other brands, check out a previous thread on Borrelli shirts on this topic (this page or 1 or 2 pages back) - there you will see most of the big hitting shirt brands listed and recommended.

G

Griffindork

Charvet's full mesure (bespoke) shirts are generally not hand-sewn. I believe that the button holes are done by hand (and the button holes on my bespoke are noticeably different than those on my RTW), but that is it. I recall a poster here mentioning that if you specifically ask, they will hand sew some, but not all, aspects of the shirt. In my experience, there is basically no request for bespoke shirts that they won't accommodate if they are able so I wouldn't be shocked if they are willing to hand sew for a regular customer that is willing to pay for the extra service. But I've never asked. I've never been able to feel a difference in comfort and the hand sewn shirts that I've owned have a lifespan that is woefully short.

A

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barba gold label and Truzzi cucita a mano are both good. Borrelli quality is taking a nose dive lately. Kiton is still good as are a few other Neapolitan brands like Finamore (black label) and Attolini.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads