• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hand Held Steamer: Getting Out Wrinkles

singlechange

Reaction score
I thought I'd share something most forum members might find useful.
Recently I acquired a fine suit and it came from Germany packaged in FedEx box really too small for it. The jacket and trousers were folded so many times that the wool was wrinkled in many areas. I recalled reading a thread somewhere here on the subject of clothes steamers and found one on the internet and ordered. Today I removed all the wrinkles on my fine Italian suit within a few minutes. Highly recommeded. It's the hand held model made in the U.S. of A. called Jiffy Esteam and retails for about $70. It takes about a cup of tap or distilled water to reach steaming vapor in a few minutes and you just lightly touch the garment and make a few vertical passes. It's the perfect size at about 12 inches in length with large handle and a generous nine foot chord. Best of all you can travel with it.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. There is a kiosk selling these at the local mall.

nelly

Reaction score
is that steamer effective on shirts? Not just getting out wrinkles but adding a nice crispness like an iron does.

singlechange

Reaction score
I acquired the Jiffy portable steamer for my fine suits and cashmere coats, ties and scarfs. For pressing my Kiton and Fray dress shirts I stick to my trusty Rowenta after handwashing. The steamer works well taking wrinkles out of the dress shirts that have been folded for travel or storage but it doesn't replace careful ironing for that crispness you want.

mrchapel

Reaction score
I have a similar one made by Sunbeam that does the job. It's no replacement for proper ironing/dry cleaning, but it's best suited to remove shirt wrinkles. Removing wrinkles from jackets takes some effort.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have one, and like it alot

wrldfamouscook

Reaction score
I too have a Jiffy steamer. It must be a bigger model as it is not suitable for traveling. In addition to being good for suits, shirts and other things, it also is good to help remove the shine you get from ironing on wool.

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
Would they work to create that rumpled look I like on my casual shirts?

What I mean is... I am too lazy to iron my casual shirts, and sending them out to launder commercially results in that dress shirt "crisp" look I do not like in some of my casual shirts.

If I washed my casual shirts regularly at home and then used the hand-held steamer, would I get that slightly crumpled look? Or does it only work in removing wrinkles from an otherwise already pressed shirt?

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
perhap some1 should sell or give 1 to thom browne!
crackup[1].gif
i have got a couple 1 at the office and 1 at home i think they are great esp when the misses is not around
lol8[1].gif

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorially Challenged
If I washed my casual shirts regularly at home and then used the hand-held steamer, would I get that slightly crumpled look? Or does it only work in removing wrinkles from an otherwise already pressed shirt?
Try hang-drying your shirts. For a bit less "crumpling", toss them in the dryer for a few minutes before hanging.

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
Tried that already. A bit too crumpled looking. I know I am being finicky, but I am going for that slightly crumpled look -- somewhere between the hang-dried, slightly-machined dried look AND the commercially laundered look.

Would the hand steamer work in creating that look?

stach

Reaction score
The easiest way to achieve the look you want is to send the shirts out, no starch, then steam them at home.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear about this gadget. I have owned hand held steamers. Had bad luck, with them. One of them spewed water all over a jacket, virtually destroying it. This was years ago . . . I shall look into this model. Thanks for the tip!

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorially Challenged
somewhere between the hang-dried, slightly-machined dried look AND the commercially laundered look.

Hang dry and then use a warm iron (medium heat setting, no steam) to touch up the shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads