Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Hand coloring shoes event.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LabelKing, Nov 5, 2004.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Hello,

At Barneys New York on Madison Bettanin & Venturi will be having demonstrations of hand stiching shoes as well as hand coloring.

Also Kiton demonstrations of shoe/tie productions. Corgi will have special order cashmere hosiery.

It is on Saturday, Nov 6th.

2. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

Have we determined yet who makes Kiton footwear? I've seen posted that they are made in-house; but this seems highly unusual. Any definitive answer?

3. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well, it's not like Kiton brought a bunch of shoemakers into the suit factory. The story that I've heard is that Kiton bought a smallish shoe workshop. It's an interesting question, though. There can't be very many manufacturers in the world who can produce the quantity that Kiton needs and maintain the level of handwork that Kiton shoes have. The ones that I've seen have as much as Vass or Lattanzi.

Anybody on the board know Ciro Paone?

4. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

I couldn't pry the answer out of Marcello, perhaps the next time I'm fortunate enough to run into Signor Bizzocchi, I can get the information [​IMG] koji

5. rjsphd

rjsphd Senior member

I ran into Ciro Paone at the NYC store on Monday. He said the shoes are made in his factory. Quite a character.

6. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

The story is that they purchased a workshop, 6 shoemakers, and moved it in-house. Though I would expect that they have hired more guys if they want to turn out any kind of volume. I'm fairly certain that is what actually happened, and not just a line they are feeding us.

7. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Bergdorf Goodman also confirmed this, said that Kiton turned 50% of their factory into making shoes. I don't know where he pulled that number out of as it seems ridiculously high, but another confirmation that they make them in-house.

8. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

If you wanted to turn out truly hand-made shoes, you could expect to produce maybe two or three pairs per week per shoemaker, couldn't you? At the upper end, that would add up to 900 pairs per year. Kiton would have had to hire a lot more people produce enough shoes, I would think.

Edited to correct idiotic math error.