1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Hampton's trip: Milano

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Hampton, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

As you plan to go shopping and sideseeing, you don't happen to go to the F1 race?
    I'll be in Milano/Monza for a week as well.

2. HoratioNelson

HoratioNelson Active Member

Just got back from there a couple of weeks ago. Seems like everyone above has covered the place well and truly, but here are my two cents:

Rinascente shopping centre - Make sure you use the voucher for foreign tourists (10% off if you show your passport): http://www.rinascente.it/webapp/pdf/iniziativa_inglese.pdf If your native currency means that the euro is fairly weak, this only adds better value in case you do want to buy anything from the store. I'd second a drink or casual dinner on the top at the 7th floor - it's quite casual but it really is amazing being up next to the roof of the Duomo (though NB you can't use this voucher up there, but it's fair value anyway).

Someone suggested the restaurant Da Giacomo. I went there - I have to say it's pretty good; haven't seen an interior like it but the service was a tad patchy. Worth a visit though. We had another meal at Joia, which is a vegeratian restaurant but does some pretty amazing dishes. Particularly good value at lunch time. Agree that Cova is a must-do. I also really like Princi bakery (there's one about 5 minute walk form the Duomo); although there's one in London so it's not exclusive to Milan, their stuff is delicious (and good value).

Away from food/shopping, the Triennale design museum may be worth a visit if that sort of stuff interests you. I did find it mildly Italian-centric and it didn't ostensively cover much pre 20th Century, but it's still a cool place (with cafe and book shop too). I actually much prefer the castle museum (Castello). Great range of artwork and furniture pre-C20th (and much earlier).

Also, I'm sure you're street-wise, but watch out for the (harmless but annoying) African men who stand around the streets/tourist attractions who try to start talking to you and fob off bracelets from Africa for a euro or two.

3. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Not my cup of tea, but for the fun and experience of it that would be something nice to do. But isn't that quit expensive? When will you be there?
    Wow this sounds good, thanks for the info mate. This I will do!

4. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

I am not there to watch the race but rather to enjoy a few more days of summer while earning some money from working in the surroundings of the race.
    Most likely will be there from 4th to 10th and sincerley hope I'll have as lovely customers as I did last year.
    Now that I think of it both the gentlemen from Italy 2010 as well as the ones from the UK and Belgium in 2011 could very well be members of SF.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  5. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Aha sounds interesting, will check up on that.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  6. hrb

hrb Senior member

definitely this. I would buy one bracelet then flash it to any of them that asked in the future. They instantly stop hounding you once they see it. If you're rather not buy anything don't play the 'no italiano card', they speak english. essentially (and predictably) don't stop and talk, just shake your head and keep moving. I personally found the single bracelet to be a worthwhile investment.

7. P-K-L

P-K-L Senior member

You can also just completely ignore them and not waste any money on them. Do not say anything, do not look at them - and they will leave you alone.

8. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

Seconded. My go-to place for cloth in Milan. Guenzati's selection is smaller and much pricier, even though they do have the odd very interesting thing.

9. Lo Zingaro

Lo Zingaro Active Member

Last time they had a 14-16 oz I don't remember the brand, maybe J.J. Minnis 3 ply at 130 euro meter. The suck your blood out, but they sometimes can get the hands on some crazy ultra rare pieces.

10. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Like these kind of things, will do!

11. Saratorial_Splender

Saratorial_Splender Senior member

Did you go?

12. Lo Zingaro

Lo Zingaro Active Member

So, Hampton, how was your trip to Milan?

13. sdolina

sdolina Senior member

Sorry to break in the thread.
    I'm now in Milano, enjoying nice autumn, low season, trying to recover from the prices in the local shops.
    Never ever have seen the boots for 15500 euro (Santoni). Also the sizes of the RTW pants/jackets seems to be limited, can't imagine Italians are so slim.
    But have to say the choice is great, also the style is much more refined than in Germany for example.

PS very nice lantacci shop on the Gesu, can't recall if people mention it. Around hundred different shoes and boots. Prices start from 1300 euro, but the norwegese styly calf rtw was roughly 4000 euro. Damn.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  14. Lo Zingaro

Lo Zingaro Active Member

Did you visit some of the locations I mentioned before?

15. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

10 Corso Como - great shop - great vibe.

Walk the Duomo roof - true it's touristy but it's truely worth the time.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  16. sdolina

sdolina Senior member

Yep, i followed yours and others advises, although not full scope.
    Visited Dome roof and seen the Bohemia in the LaScala. Was surprised by dudes in jeans in the parter. Missed the "Late Dinner" as it was fully booked 2 month ago.
    As there were no sales in Milano the prices were rather high IMO. Still found four branded pants, sexy winter boots, tweed jacket and nice barba shirt. Interesting that you can get Borelli in the supermarket near Duomo for almost 1/2 of a price in their boutique nearby.

Off-topic - found very nice tailor shops of men's and women's wear and surprisingly wide choice of shoes by JL, EG and Alden in Verona.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  17. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

Lo Zingaro nailed all of the shopping quite well. Some other things that are worth doing/seeing/buying in the city.

Eat/Drink:
    S.P.I.B - VERY "off the beaten path" but it is my favorite pizza in the city. Yellow line to Machiachini, 5 minutes by foot. via Legnone, 34
    Nobu - Via manzoni 31. Not very Milanese, but fantastic food and incredible wine list.
    Martini - Dolce and Gabbana
    Deseo (Brera) - best food at an apertivo that I have ever had.

Do:
    Barbiere at Dolce and Gabbana. It's the best haircut that I have ever received. EUR 40 and well worth it. I go to Antonio who speaks English and loves to practice his English, The second he found out that I was from USA he asked if we could switch from Italian to English
    Castello Sforzeco - Seconded...this is probably the nicest view in the city.
    Colonne at night (I don't know how old you are. If you're over 35ish, don't)
    If you're going to M.Bardelli, check out Cattolica. I'm biased as I studied there, but it is a gorgeous university.

Buy:

Crema di pistacchio at Rinascente (top floor). It is an orgasm in your mouth. I brought 6 back to Paris in July.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  18. Lo Zingaro

Lo Zingaro Active Member

SPIB: pizza is quite good IMHO, the place is a challenge even for a Milanese, because of the location. Wouldn't recommend.
    Nobu: what? Sushi? They've got very good sushi in the US, why bother? Also, it's very expensive. Very very. I would recommend if you pay more than one visit in Milan. A foreigner shoul try italian cuisine. Speaking about sushi, I'd suggest, If you really want sushi, Finger's
    Martini - Dolce&Gabbana: that's something very nice I forget. The location is fantastic and cocktails get 8 out of 10.
    Deseo: again, very nice. Nice suggestion.
    Barbiere at Dolce&Gabbana: Never tried, but there is Antica Barbieria Colla ( http://www.anticabarbieriacolla.it/ ) that is much in Milanese spirit. Prices are quite the same, a little higher; but the care and treatment are fantastic and traditional.

I totally agree with the rest.

Enjoy.
    Zingaro

19. clausc

clausc Senior member

Zingaro, have you visited recently Il Salvagente? Last time I was there in August, they had almost nothing left in stock for men. At the beginning of spring there were plenty of interesting brands(Boglioli, Corneliani, Barba, PT01, etc) at 60% off. For me, it's always worth a visit in Milano outside the sales period. Much better selection than at D Magazine outlet.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  20. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

honestly, I'd recommend skipping ALL of these. You can see all of these brands in the USA in all of their glory. I would highly recommend taking the cab ride to the Al Bazaar store. GREAT experience there, and be sure to have them assist in trying on a few things. I'll challenge you not to buy at least something small from this store, had a lot of fun there. Also really liked AD 56 for a couple great lookin ties (especially the cashmeres), and chances are good you'll find some of their selection on sale. I really think you'd enjoy visiting stores/ buying a few things that you can't find at home; I know I did!

Edit-- oh, and it was hard to beat a haircut and/ or shave at the dolce gabbana store, book in advance. epic. I see someone already beat me to it on that one-- Barbiere at Dolce and Gabbana

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012