• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hamilton over Timex 1600 or save $200?

Embargo63

Reaction score
I'm in the market for one brown and one black "value" watch to get me through law school. I can't see myself paying over $400 for either watch but I definitely need it to last through school (3 yrs). No matter which watch I buy, I'll certainly be replacing it within a few months on the job after graduation. With that said, I am more or less decided on a black Tissot PRC200 and nearly clicked the checkout button for a brown Hamilton Khaki Auto at $350 shipped. http://www.bluek.co.jp/shop/item/tok...ds/19561_1.jpg However, after checking out some of the photos, I have to agree with posters off the J Crew boards in saying the new Timex 1600 is pretty slick...see below.
timex.jpg
Even though slightly pricey for a Timex, my student discount brings it down to $166. At a difference of almost $200 - is it really worth it for me to still get the Hamilton, especially if I'll be replacing it in <5 years? I am aware the Hamilton is auto and 'Swiss made' (for what that's worth nowadays) but what else justifies almost double the price of the Timex? I certainly don't want to overpay for the Hamilton if the Timex is just as good and almost half the price while looking the part. On the other hand, if the Hamilton happens to be THAT much better than the Timex, I can justify an extra couple hundred bucks for the increase in quality. I'll be using the watch as an every-day depending on what color I'll be wearing on my feet. I will definitely need it to pass underneath a suit and tie for the occasional OCI, banquet, etc. as well. What's the verdict from the watch gurus ?

Bandit44

Reaction score
I'd jump all over that Hamilton. They are one of the best values in Swiss made watches and will last you a very long time.

Embargo63

Reaction score
I'm starting to pick up on that. I guess there's nothing wrong with keeping the Hamilton in rotation even when I do buy something pricier down the line.

My biggest concern is how I could couple it with a suit - can the Khaki Auto be worn with a tie and jacket?

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own a Hamilton khaki mechanical (handwind) and love it. They quit offering it for sale in the states at some point, but a quick web search seemed to indicate it was available now. This is a great watch that could stay in your rotation for some time to come. If you want auto/mechanical, you could just get an Invicta. They have a few, uh, less &quot;exuberant&quot; models available and can usually be found for cheaper than the jcrew times.

Tigris

Reaction score
I own a prc 200 and it's my only timepiece (stainless steel model). It goes with everything and gets heaps of compliments.

Bandit44

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Embargo63
I'm starting to pick up on that. I guess there's nothing wrong with keeping the Hamilton in rotation even when I do buy something pricier down the line.

My biggest concern is how I could couple it with a suit - can the Khaki Auto be worn with a tie and jacket?

Yes, the rules of watch wearing have changed a bit. Lots of men will even wear a dive watch with a suit, although I wouldn't go that far. If you want something a little dressier from Hamilton, check out their Jazzmaster Viewmatic.

Also, you might look around for something pre-owned. Let someone else take the depreciation hit. You can find lots of great watches by checking here: http://elitedealseeker.com/index.cgi?category=watches

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandit44
Yes, the rules of watch wearing have changed a bit. Lots of men will even wear a dive watch with a suit, although I wouldn't go that far. If you want something a little dressier from Hamilton, check out their Jazzmaster Viewmatic.[/url]

Yes, probably because James Bond has done it in the movies a lot over the years, and people want to mirror that look. I wear my Omega Seamaster with suits quite often. It works very well indeed.

run23

Reaction score
I'd go with the Hamilton. It'll be in your rotation even after you get your Patek Philippe or whatever. People tend to form a weird bond with their first "real" watch.

As for what watch to wear with a suit-- there really aren't many rules any more. Some days it's a dressier watch for me, and some days a nice diver, depending on my mood. It's just got to click with what you are wearing and your attitude that day.

Embargo63

Reaction score
As always and expected - great advice from all. Many thanks.

I'm inclined to believe that for roughly $175 more, one gets so much more watch-for-the-money than with the Timex, however cool it looks.

Even though I could think of plenty of things to do with $175, the quality, reputation, and the respect the Hamilton garners even from the SF-breed of watch snobs justifies the extra funds.

I don't even have the watch yet. But, as an earlier post states, I can already see my self keeping a close eye on this watch even when I own watches worth more than my next door neighbor's '96 Honda Civic
lol8[1].gif

-E63

suginami

Reaction score
As always and expected - great advice from all. Many thanks.

I'm inclined to believe that for roughly $175 more, one gets so much more watch-for-the-money than with the Timex, however cool it looks.

Even though I could think of plenty of things to do with $175, the quality, reputation, and the respect the Hamilton garners even from the SF-breed of watch snobs justifies the extra funds.

I don't even have the watch yet. But, as an earlier post states, I can already see my self keeping a close eye on this watch even when I own watches worth more than my next door neighbor's '96 Honda Civic
lol8[1].gif

-E63

I've owned two Hamilton Khaki chronographs already. One was a gift to myself when I graduated from graduate school. It has a 42mm case and a blue dial, and I love it.

The second Hamilton chronograph I bought is a mid-size 38mm model with a black dial.

The Hamilton chronographs use the Valjoux 7750 ETA movement, which is used in nearly every high-end Swiss brand that sell for thousands of dollars more.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are two very different watches, in terms of style. I do second all the recommendations for the Hamilton. I have had a Khaki for over ten years, and they are excellent watches. However, I don't personally like the specific model you linked.
19561_1.jpg
I dislike the day wheel, and I find the dial very cluttered. The word 'KHAKI' on the dial has always bugged me a bit. For the same price you might consider the Valiant Auto from the Hamilton American Classic range. ETA 2824-2 automatic movement, 40mm stainless case, sapphire crystal, black or silver dial.
12887253556_2.jpg
12887253896_2.jpg

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for one brown and one black "value" watch to get me through law school.

I can't see myself paying over $400 for either watch but I definitely need it to last through school (3 yrs). No matter which watch I buy, I'll certainly be replacing it within a few months on the job after graduation.

You must have not begun law school yet, because when you do start, you will realize that law school is a style apocalypse. Flip flops, basketball shorts, baseball hats, etc. I remember one classmate sporting his "**** Michigan" t shirt to class the day before the Ohio St./UM game. My advice is to not overthink it. Check the SF "Poor Man's Watch Thread" here. You can get a decent looking watch for less than $150 and in some cases a lot less.

gwolf

Reaction score
the valiant looks like a small iwc portuguese. nice! i like the tissot prc200 the most though even though it's quartz.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads