• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hall of Shame - eBay Listing Bloopers, What NOT to do

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You've all seen the eBay Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions thread where we help each other out on what to do in certain situations, or offer advice on listing layouts or photo/lighting set ups. On the other end of the spectrum, you can see what not to do in an eBay listing.

As Eleanor Roosevelt said...

“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.”

Post your eBay blooper discoveries here. Your post could include listings with poor photos, terrible spelling or just plain bad all around. Who knows, someone may learn something from your post, but we should all get a little chuckle from time to time.

It's probably be best to do screen shots since the listings will be dead after a few months.

I nearly forgot.....the typical commentary is more than welcome here.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll start it off. Creating a "pair" of shoes from two brands is probably not a good idea. Unless of course you are throwing in a free glasses case.
lol8[1].gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221258488024?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

If you wear the glasses case like this, you can hardly tell the difference in the shoes.
fing02[1].gif

From the listing description....

You're bidding on a pair of"brooks brothers/johnston & Murphy" shoes size 9, great conditions high class,
classic,they look all most identically the same ....but are different brands, left shoe is "Johnston & Murphy,
right shoe is "brooks brothers"upper tongue on one is semi flat the other is oval, 1 heel is slanted
the other square, the color is identical, they come with a authentic "brooks brother" glasses case,
these brands of shoe's are 100% authentic and very pricey if bought new,"
(they DO NOT come with the shoe shaper)" as seen on pictures, but are for bidding on different category,
any question feel free to ask, happy bidding, thank you.

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't find it now, but about a year ago, there was what I believe was an AE Clifton with a leather velcro strap sewn onto the upper. It was billed as an AE monkstrap.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found a few of the posts from the AE thread:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/14175#post_6029384
Corresponding Ebay link: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AMAZING-Mens...hoes&hash=item416f15b839&_uhb=1#ht_500wt_1288

And a pic:

From the description:
"Awesome pair of custom made ALDEN 471 oxfords with a wide velcro strap closure. Check out the pictures, they always tell the story a thousand times better than I ever could. I try to take lots of pictures from different angles so look closely. These are the exact shoes you will be receiving, so don't pass these up, I may never get them again."

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I found a few of the posts from the AE thread:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/14175#post_6029384
Corresponding Ebay link: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AMAZING-Mens...hoes&hash=item416f15b839&_uhb=1#ht_500wt_1288

And a pic:

From the description:
"Awesome pair of custom made ALDEN 471 oxfords with a wide velcro strap closure. Check out the pictures, they always tell the story a thousand times better than I ever could. I try to take lots of pictures from different angles so look closely. These are the exact shoes you will be receiving, so don't pass these up, I may never get them again."

I have bought several shoes form that seller actually. Never saw those....
baldy[1].gif

Those poor Aldens.

I ran across a couple of ads just selling one shoe...New with Defects. Needless to say, I wouldn't want this even if it were a pair.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/STUART-MCGU...6617551?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item417473c1cf
I see a lot of these types of listings. Typically they classify them as "Amputee" shoes. Not a bad idea actually. Still, funny to call it NWD.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I could see a homeless man buying these shoes, but not paying what they are asking for. More like $.35 for the mismatched pair.

Again, only if you were homeless.

The selling of just one shoe by itself I could see as economical and valuable for people with only one leg.

Last edited:

RockyTop

Reaction score
I see a lot of these types of listings. Typically they classify them as "Amputee" shoes. Not a bad idea actually. Still, funny to call it NWD.

I never thought about the amputee angle, I guess that makes sense. Or they could be trying to reach the market who has lost one shoe on the highway.

Last edited:

Marijuana

Reaction score
So...Exactly what brand are these shoes?

It would appear that this eBayer can't decide whether it's Gordon Scott, Church's, John Lobb, Gieves & Hawkes, Prada, Hermes or Edward Green...

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So...Exactly what brand are these shoes?

It would appear that this eBayer can't decide whether it's Gordon Scott, Church's, John Lobb, Gieves & Hawkes, Prada, Hermes or Edward Green...

They're engaging in keyword spamming - see it all the time and it irks me as well...against eBay policy but it happens so much I doubt any action is ever taken.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads