• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hairstylist: how much tip?

gregory

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I previously took $10 haircuts from a barbershop but the last time, I went to Pierre & Carlo in the basement floor of Park Hyatt Philadelphia. The cost was $35; in addition, I tipped the hairstylist $10 and the shampoo-lady $5. I was very satisfied with the result; the hairstylist spent at least 30 minutes just cutting my hair. What a difference compared to what I received from a barbershop.

I plan to cut my hair again over the weekend and I was wondering what would be an appropriate tip amount for the hairstylist and for the shampoo-lady (the person who washes my hair)?

Thanks.

vero_group

Reaction score
My cut is $30. I tip 20% and assume the stylist gives some to the shampooer. Total cost every three weeks: $36.00

gregory

Reaction score
My cut is $30. I tip 20% and assume the stylist gives some to the shampooer. Total cost every three weeks: $36.00
OK so I overtipped. I was confused because she didn't look very happy when I handed $10 to her and asked her to pass an additional $5 to the shampoo-lady. I think I'll tip $10 total from now on.

vero_group

Reaction score
OK so I overtipped. I was confused because she didn't look very happy when I handed $10 to her and asked her to pass an additional $5 to the shampoo-lady. I think I'll tip $10 total from now on.
Well, not so fast -- I may be an undertipper. Let's see what someone else says...

agent.5

Reaction score
About 10%. $90 at Vidal Sasson, SF. So, I just sign the credit card to $100. I don't tip the gal that wash my hair separately.

friendlyone

Reaction score
20 percent. But I suspect I'm on the high side. I really like my stylist, and have known him for years, so I'm deliberately trying to give him a generous tip.

justbrowsing

Reaction score
20% but that is for a $15 hair cut at the barber that takes all of 10 minutes if he is taking his time and is in a chatty mood that day. I think 15% is probably the most appropriate amount but in my case 20% works out to round dollar amount and I hate carrying change.

A benefit of going bald is that I no longer have to worry about hairstyle (or pay the money for a good one); simply keeping the remaining hair short seems to be my only option.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
on a $35.00 cut, $2.00 to the shampoo person and $5.00 for the cutter is more than appropriate

PeterMetro

Reaction score
Agreed ont he 20% - the stylist is getting a good percentage of the initial cost anyway. If she gave you a face based on a 30% tip, I'd go somewhere else.

mistahlee

Reaction score
Ten dollars may be a bit much for a thirty-five dollar haircut.  But $5.00 would be too little and to give, say, $7.00 would appear parsimonious.  I say stick with the $10.00 because, you know what?  Your stylist will remember you well, will "fit you in" when you call at the last minute and will treat you like a V.I.P.

banksmiranda

Reaction score
My goodness, you guys pay a lot. When I used to go to a good local(hometown) barber she charged $8, and I gave her $10 - only a $2 tip, but 25%.
confused.gif
Now that I'm away from home and I haven't yet come across a barber I've liked, my parents cut my hair every few weeks when they're in town for a conference, and I keep the edges clean and my neck shaved in the weeks in between. I think that the results are better, too, when my parents take care of it.

Pink22m

Reaction score
A benefit of going bald is that I no longer have to worry about hairstyle (or pay the money for a good one); simply keeping the remaining hair short seems to be my only option.
I wish I could look at it like that.
sad.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I usually tip 20% on a haircut. My barber also happens to be the owner (it is a 2 man operation), so a $25 (I have been going there for years, I used to get charged more in the beginning...I guess loyalty = discount
tounge.gif
) haircut costs me $30 cash, all in all rather reasonable. Jon.

Classic

Reaction score
$15CDN for haircut and tip.
Been going to the same place for years.

Classic

TimelessRider

Reaction score
20% is about what I leave.

Slightly off topic but I find really inconvenient those places that have one person wash your hair and some else cut it, and then you have to figure out how much to leave each.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics