• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hairstyle identity help and advice?

cleancut4tw

Reaction score

Alright I have the typical annoying Asian hair that always sticks up (shots above^). I've been through many nights wearing a hoodie when sleeping just so when I'd wake up, it'd stay flat. And I'd avoid doing anything that involves running or making my hair sweat and stick back up, even after applying axe gel (though hairspray is something I haven't tried yet- and the gel before axe was annoying dippity do). Obviously it'd stick back up eventually either from humid weather or me jogging/running playing or even just walking. So ya there's all that to consider before reading any further.

So I got two styles I'm thinking of going for:

A friend of mine that's a girl (who knows, she might be my girlfriend soon
mwink[1].gif
- that's another story) recommends me lots of hair cut styles. The (her words, not mine) "Ryan Tedder/Ben Mckenzi hair cut" was the first ever she recommended me. I digged it but like I said with Asian hair, it's real hard to get all that hair down. Even after a short hair cut, eventually your hair grows back long and ya the story repeats itself from there. I've been there for the past 2 years so far. So I'm thinking of stinking to this style. Any suggestions on how to keep my hair that way?

And before I decide on that hairstyle before getting my next monthly haircut which is in a few days, I got another style I think I might go for and need help on.

As of now, the same girl recommends me to get a similar haircut from one of the famous k-pop boybands. Well a member from this crazy over sized boyband and I got twitpics from his twitter account:

And if you need video reference, this is the latest I can find with him in that haircut from 0:21 (the only guy in the black tanktop sleeveless):

What style is this exactly? I might go for this look. And what are the next steps to get this kind of style? I'm hoping this year will do me good no matter where I go, I'd be happy with the style and not worry about my hair frizzing.

yodawg

Reaction score
go to a better salon. i'm asian and i can do a ceasar without caps or hoodies. it used to look like zoolander's haircut at times.

Ben Mckenzi hair cut
Ben-Mackenzie-ben-mckenzie-261713_387_594.jpg

lol8[1].gif

whatever happened to that guy?

crank

Reaction score
I think the problem here is that your hair is short and that's why it spiked up so easily. If you grow your hair longer or grease it up then it wouldn't be spiky. Your hair is probably also really thin.

I like that look you posted I wouldn't mind getting that hairstyle too. Haha

yodawg

Reaction score
oh and this makes it easier to hold down (or up) without getting your hands dirty...

250x250

also works on the ben mackenzie hairstyle.

cleancut4tw

Reaction score
O man that Ben Mcken pic uploaded up there is NOT the style I want. I even had to google image it to find out that the guy went from one style to the current "Ryan Tedder" one. Geez my friend comes with these hair style names by actors ...

My bad if you already got my drift but incase you didn't (and my bad again if you already did), I'm more after this kind of look (can a Asian guy with hair like mine pull this off?

And I never heard of that hair wax brand. Is it common? I googled it and the results tells me that it ain't easy to reach, therefore I have to go online to geddit don't I?

Originally Posted by crank
I think the problem here is that your hair is short and that's why it spiked up so easily. If you grow your hair longer or grease it up then it wouldn't be spiky. Your hair is probably also really thin.

I like that look you posted I wouldn't mind getting that hairstyle too. Haha

I hope my hair being thin has nothing to do with the fact I'm gaining into hair loss
frown.gif
I just turned into my 20's. Well my hair's been that way since actually but I'm flip out a little still.

So I'm guessing to get that 2nd hair cut I want (the asian guy one) I'm gonna have to grow my hair longer don't I? I'm just worried about the sides of my hair but I guess that can be easily solved by trimming that part.

I still dunno which style I'm going argh lol. But regardless, main goal: Go in a new style that still keeps me at a clean cut look without having to worry bout my hair frizzing

yodawg

Reaction score
ah i see, you want the ryan seacrest my fren! lol but yeah that would be easy. grow it out for a couple of months then go to a good salon.

the brand is schwarzkopf. there's also bead head. i just know them because they're the ones my salon carries. just google hair stick. i only use it coz i'm a horrible styler of my own hair but maybe you don't need it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads