• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Haircut tomorrow, need some help.

While they Slept

Reaction score
Ok, so here it is. I've been gone to college for a year and came in to visit my mom. My hair is way longer then it was when I left, and she wants me to get it cut. So, I am going to, tomorrow. But, problems are; I have a receding hairline (a "High" forehead, or whatever) and its hard to find a haircut to suit it. Also, there are no salons were I live, just some Male barber (yikes). Heres a picture of me (sorry for bad picture, only one I have where you can actually see me);
579426061_l.jpg
I was thinking about just getting trimmed, but its been long for so long I'd rather have a change. I just don't know how short go with it. I thought about a fauxhawk, or something similiar to that , but I don't know if I would look right with one. Any ideas or suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks. EDIT: I'm having second thoughts about getting it cut where my mom lives, I may wait till I go back to my apartment and go to a salon and get a modern style fashion haircut... but with my receding hairline, what wouldn't look totally weird?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I would wait until you can go to a salon. Then, find a good one and see if you can go in for a consultation before you get a cut.

I think you have to decide how short you want to go, but I really don't see that your hairline is receding that badly (it may be hard to tell from that photo), but a good haircut will help no matter how bad it is. Do some internet searches and you could find some styles you like...

if you want to keep it a bit longer, how about the Owen Wilson type of look? He may or may not have a receding hairline, but it's hidden behind the bangs.

53238485.jpg

A male barber is probably not your best option.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You look like the tormented artist from Six Feet Under.

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
Brad%20Pitt.jpg

4757712219.09.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

jake_gyllenhaal.jpg

inlove.gif

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good calls from both Brad and Shellshock.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to SF. Might not hurt to color it brown. Start out with the temp stuff that lasts 12-24 shampoos. What do you think? I would not worry too much about the hairline in relation to a haircut. The longer your hair is the more thin it looks, so any cut is going to make an improvement. Get a thickening shampoo. They make some spacificly for thinning hair.

Have you checked out any Rx that would prevent further hairloss?

christian_bale_97.jpg

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The person who does my dishes has reported excellent results by using Propecia and Rogaine. You should try it, if you're concerned. Right now the texture looks pretty good though, so you have enough hair to work with. Your forehead, in my opinion, is not something that you have to hide that much. Look at Hollywood, there are some guys there sporting tons of forehead. Just get some prescriptions to slow it down and you'll be fine. I agree on the coloring too.

tommib

Reaction score
I just had my haircut into a side parting like the guy in the current Prada ads I've seen in GQ. It looks so good. When I was younger I had a side parting and someone made fun of it, then had stupid curtains for a few years, and then kind of messed up, but now its back to traditional and I love it. Chris Carmack from The OC:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads