• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Haircut suggestions?

esaul17

Reaction score
Okay, I'm and 18 year old university student and have decently curly hair about 11 inches long. This hair is frustrating in that it seems to get extremely frizzy easily, and is really poofy when in the wind. Due to this, I was wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions on a hairstyle that accommodates curly/wavy hair and avoids it from getting extremely poofy, especially in the wind. If possible, I'd like something that looked fine without any product put in it. I attacked a picture of myself to this post.

In summary I want something:
-low maintainance
-not so poofy/frizzy

Thanks for any suggestions!

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
The obvious answer is short hair. The part in the middle is odd.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Esaul; the way you describe it, it doesn't seem that your hair (described as frizzy/poofy, and probably fine-fibred) is really suited for being worn long.

In addition, you want a low-maintenance haircut.

Yep, it's obvious.

esaul17

Reaction score
Yeah, any particular suggestion though? Also, what about something like this:

johnnydepp.jpg

Do you think that could be feasible?

If not could you show me pictures of other suggestions by any chance?

Yaz

Reaction score
Your haircut should complement the shape of your face. Hard to tell how your face is shaped in your picture.

Best thing to do IMO is fire up your favorite search engine and do a search for men's hairstyles and face shape. There's a lot of useful info and tips available, and I think I also saw a site where you can actually upload your photo and "try on" various hairstyles, but I think there's a fee involved...

esaul17

Reaction score
I think I have an oval face, maybe oblong...either of which the above picture should fit...

I am thinking of maybe trying it out.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by esaul17
Yeah, any particular suggestion though? Also, what about something like this:

Do you think that could be feasible?

If not could you show me pictures of other suggestions by any chance?

Thats feasible only with a hair straightener, which you might or might not be willing to invest time in every few, if not every morning.

Robert Downey Jr has your hair color, and I suspect same hair type since his looks frizzy when unkept(mugshot). Look to him for some ideas.

http://www.thecinemasource.com/movie..._Downey_Jr.jpg

ironmancast.bmp

18760970.jpg

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More than likely not. People that can style their hair like that already have wavy or somewhat curly hair. That wouldn't apply to you based on your pic, as it looks very thin and frizzy.

esaul17

Reaction score
My hair is actually quite wavy. It is a little frizzy, but has noted many timed how thick it is. If it was cut short I do not think it would be so frizzy.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If that's the case then go for it. Why not start out getting your hair cut to a medium length and keeping it for a few weeks, then go to semi short. The upside to having long hair now is how much you can experiment with it.

esaul17

Reaction score
I just actually don't have that much money. It used to be down to my waist, I cut it to a medium length around last Xmas, and it has grown to be longer again now.

To experiment I think I'll try the short cut.

Thanks for all the advice. Also, my haircut is next Saturday so you all still have a week to suggest anything else >_>

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only wash your hair every 2 or 3 days to let your natural oils spread and moisturize your hair. Avoid a blowdryer, and minimize brushing. You could experiment with using an anti-frizz serum and see if that works. Also, bumble & bumble grooming cream is damn effective for controlling frizz and styling.

I think you could make it work, curly hair is a pain ********** but it's all about experimenting over and frikken over again until you land on the perfect combination. Also, I recommend EO shampoo and conditioner for dry hair, it's simply awesome and will also help tone down some frizz. I have curly hair and it's taken me forever to figure out my own hair and which products work best.

esaul17

Reaction score
My hair gets to looks really flat if I don't wash it daily unfortunately. I think I will just try to cut it short and see how that goes...

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Good got, get rid of that, you look like carrot top. Short short short ASAP.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads