Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Hairbrushes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by matcha, Dec 1, 2004.

1. matcha

matcha Well-Known Member

Need a new hairbrush. Had a Mason Pearson for years and it was great. Kent brushes seem to be a little cheaper. What's interesting is that MP uses a plastic, wood simulated base, while Kent's is wood.

Any thoughts on these? Any others in a quality bristle that are very good?

2. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

I've had both and don't find that one is superior to the other. Mason Pearson, a gift from my wife, seems over-priced.The Kent satinwood military oval brush with white bristles has been a standard item for 40-50 years (about $60).

3. Smooth Jazz

Smooth Jazz Well-Known Member

Both are quite good and the quality of the bristles from what I can tell are equally good. I bought the Kent at a chemist on the corner of 49th and Madison in NYC for ~$40 (military oval, dark bristles, satinwood finish). The softer white bristles were a touch more expensive.

If memory serves me right, the MPs were almost tripple that for boar/nylon and five times for all boar (~$200). Have never come across any other brands of similar quality.

Penhaligons are more espensive than Kent and are Boar/nylon.

4. Horace

Horace Senior member

I have the Kent model that StyStu speaks of.

Kent's website has the best prices for brushes.  Enter GBK1777 for a 20% disc. at check-out.

(I recently bough several items).

EDIT: I think my brush has black bristles.

I've also bought Kent combs -- and combs from a Swiss outfit. Cannot recall name.