• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair

Brett 9213

Reaction score
So im a guy, I straightened my hair the other day, and I want to know what i can use so it doesnt look so damaged and dry and obvious that its been straightened.

when i come out of the shower and my hair is wet it looks good, and when i gel it right afterwards it looks good too until the wetness goes away and its not black anymore. it turns brownish and looks dry and bad.

anyone know what i can use to help it? any help at all would be appreciated

thanks
brett

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are products made to protect hair from such heat treatments, but I have not used any of them so can not vouch for their effectiveness. A few links:

http://www.nexxus.com/hair_care_bran...rotection.html

http://www.hairexpo.biz/Brands/Rusk-Thermal-STR8.html

http://www.dowcorning.com/content/pu...%20Care&DCWSS=

Have you considered getting a relaxing treatment? If you have to straighten your hair regularly then it might be worth looking into. There are less aggressive treatments for non black hair.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brett 9213
So im a guy, I straightened my hair the other day, and I want to know what i can use so it doesnt look so damaged and dry and obvious that its been straightened.

How did you straighten your hair? Chemically or with a hair dryer and brush? What type of hair do you have?

Brett 9213

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
How did you straighten your hair? Chemically or with a hair dryer and brush? What type of hair do you have?
yeah it was one of those one time chemical treatements where they put some chemicals on your hair and then they use a straightener too and its supposed to keep your hair straihgt until your new hair grows out.

and my natural hair is sorta wavy, not sure how to describe it. not exactly curly, but kinda like Jewish hair if that makes sense, and i hope tahts not offensive.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can condition your hair but use a really good one. Chemical relaxers ( when left too long ) can dry the hair and cause damage. It's like getting a permanent, which uses the same chemicals but instead of getting curls, you are obviously changing the structure of hair bonds by straightening it.

Chemical relaxers will lighten the hair and is normal, specially if it's slightly damaged. I would recommend Rene Furterer 's Carthame oil and use the Karite conditioner 2 x a week. MIght as well use their shampoo-- consult a trichologist.

ts4them

Reaction score
The very best thing for chemically relaxed hair is Hot Oil treatments once a week or so. The best one is actually Queen Helene and can be found at most drugstores. DOn't get the vo5 version, it must be the QH, trust!

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brett 9213
yeah it was one of those one time chemical treatements where they put some chemicals on your hair and then they use a straightener too and its supposed to keep your hair straihgt until your new hair grows out.

and my natural hair is sorta wavy, not sure how to describe it. not exactly curly, but kinda like Jewish hair if that makes sense, and i hope tahts not offensive.

Chemical treatments for straightening hair are ok (I've done it a couple of times to my curly hair) but they don't work perfectly. To make your hair look really good it may take some gel and a hair dryer (+ a round brush / vented brush) to completely straighten it. I'm not sure what your daily regimen is and if that would be too much of an inconvenience.

I would recommend a moisture / protein conditioner once a week, possibly a leave in conditioner, and then a soft hold gel if you need or want to style it with a dryer. You'll probably get the best results that way.

If not, you can use just gel (or whatever) but you'll probably still see a slight wave (sometimes unnatural looking from the straightner) and as your hair grows out, it'll continue to go back to its normal wave / curl.

Hot oil treatments are good but as with anything else there are good ones and bad ones. The oils that are used in the treatments need to penetrate the hair to do any good. If they don't, they'll just weigh your hair down and it will still appear dull and lifeless and the treatment won't do a thing. I'm not familiar with them so I can't recommend one.

Essential oils are best (jojoba, oilve oil, jasmine, rosemary).

ts4them

Reaction score
^^ it sounds like he had the japanese hair straightening, which makes the hair pretty much pin-straight, very different from the look you get w/ traditional relaxers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads