• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair styling

mbc

Reaction score
OK, so.

I have dirty blond hair, that I normally buzz very short (i.e. a "4" on electric clippers), for the following reason. When my hair gets longer, and especially when I apply most styling products to it (pomade, wax, etc) it tends to get very wavy.. and it all waves the same direction, more or less. Problem with this is that if I'm going to style my hair, I usually want to go for a messy or devil-may-care sort of look, but the waviness of my hair tends to make me look pretty "polished" no matter what. Either that or with some products, the individual hairs themselves start to curl up and it just makes me look too effeminate for my tastes.

So, one of my questions is.. do the other board members feel that a simple buzzed short haircut (not like military short, but still short, as mentioned maybe a 4 or 5 on electric clippers) is, well, too boring to be fashionable?

Also, if you happen to know a professional product which will make my hair less wavy and more manipulatable, suggestions would be appreciated. I've basically run out of things to try when it gets longer, so buzzing it is my last resort...

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
yeah, i've got the same problem, only my hair tends to be way too thick rather than way too wavy.
I think very short hair (i.e. a buzz) can look really interesting on some guys, so long as your hair is the same length all the way around (so none of that short in the back and sides and a little longer on top look). But if you want to try growing it out, I started to use this stuff called Fantastix Organic Bees Wax. I like it for a few reasons. First, you can get it at Walgreens for dirt cheap. Second, its one of the only hair products I've found that doesn't make me break out all over my forehead. And third, even w/my incredibly thick and wavy/curly hair, it is heavy enough to straighten it out and give a dirty/messy look. The bad part is that you need to use a lot of it for this effect, and it doesn't wash out very easy (the flipside of that is that you don't really need to apply it every day).

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
kiehl's "creme with silk groom" basically works on any hair type and does wonders for unmanageable hair

but keeping your hair short sounds fashionable to me as well

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Matt's hair sounds like mine. I am blonde and right now it is long enough that it goes back in a very polished way. Think news anchor hair.

I am thinking about getting it cut short and spiky for the summer, like Mark McGrath from SugarRay but wondered what everyone thinks. How do I get where it lays down during the day, and then spikes up when I go out?

Has anyone mastered this?

Bradford

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
just my 2 hundreths of a dollar, but I don't look at spikey hair too favorably. way too many people do it, and most are lacking on the style end of things.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
OK - Ran the spiky idea past my wife and got the big thumbs down from her as well. So I'll probably stick with my Brian Williams - NBC News Anchor look. I suppose it is more professional
biggrin.gif
Bradford She also nixed the idea of my growing a goatee or beard again. Jeez - what are you gonna do.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
old topic, but i figured i'd throw my 2 cents in...

I also have wavy hair, especially when it gets longer. I've basically had the same haircut for my whole life with a couple of VERY minor variations. Because of the way that my hair grows out, I've found that it's only really possible to do one thing with it and I part it to the left and back a bit. My part line is more on the top of my head than the middle. Anyway... It looked good enough, but the last time I was getting my haircut, my stylist thought i might want to try something new.

I was a little hesitant, but I can't say no to attractive females, so I told her to do whatever she wanted with my hair, within reason ;p

She cut my hair shorter than usual and played with it a bit and a new haircut was born. The product she recommended to me is called "kms hair play molding paste."

It's relatively light in that it doesn't feel too icky; much better than some other stuff i've tried (and thrown out) in the paste. If you apply it to completely dry hair, you can barely tell that there's anything in your hair at all. If you apply it to damp hair, it looks a bit shiny, which really isn't my thing.

On the back of the bottle, there's a scale for hold and shine. The hold scale reads 4/5 and the shine reads 1.5/5. Oh and it smells like coconut. You can really smell it when you first apply it but i think that most of the smell goes away as the paste dries. It's a really nice smell though. It's also the first hair product I've used that doesn't make me feel like there's oil dripping down my face..

My suggestion to anyone who has wavy hair is to splurge on a good stylist and let them tell you what they think would look good. Wavy hair is a pain ********** and what you can do with my hair most likely will not work with your. You only need to see a good one once. After you've got your new haircut, you can give proper instructions to whomever you wish.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have been using kms molding paste for 3 years or so now and it's a great product - but it is technically designed for thin hair (i do not have wavy hair but thin limpless hair) as it is made up out of plant protein and plant fibre to give thin hair more body and support so that you can do something with your thin hair

however, i suppose it can be adaptable to other types of hair with different results

but it is a good smelling product and is not sticky or with residue

there is a also new paul mitchell product called esp (elastic shaping product?) which is supposedly similar to molding paste but have only heard others say how good it is, have not tried it yet myself

electrosoccertux

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
yeah, i've got the same problem, only my hair tends to be way too thick rather than way too wavy.
I think very short hair (i.e. a buzz) can look really interesting on some guys, so long as your hair is the same length all the way around (so none of that short in the back and sides and a little longer on top look). But if you want to try growing it out, I started to use this stuff called Fantastix Organic Bees Wax. I like it for a few reasons. First, you can get it at Walgreens for dirt cheap. Second, its one of the only hair products I've found that doesn't make me break out all over my forehead. And third, even w/my incredibly thick and wavy/curly hair, it is heavy enough to straighten it out and give a dirty/messy look. The bad part is that you need to use a lot of it for this effect, and it doesn't wash out very easy (the flipside of that is that you don't really need to apply it every day).

You know I wanted something better than gel (so old) and my hair cutter recommended some Crew Fiber....but it was $17. So I googled some, saw your post, and got that Fantastix stuff. Its perfect! Same size as the Crew Fiber but only $2.50, works the same. Thanks for the recommendation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads