Hair styling products

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by flopez1972, Mar 16, 2009.

1. flopez1972

flopez1972 New Member

Hi there,

I have straight, fairly thin hair. It is of medium length (over 3 inches) and difficult to keep in place unless I use quite a bit of gel. I have used the American Crew Firm Hold Styling Gel, which kept my hair in place, but left it hard and shiny. I was thinking of switching to the AC Forming Cream or the AC Texture Cream. I want something that will keep my hair in place throughout the day without leaving it hard or greasy. Does anyone know of a product that would help. Styling tips would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Dashaansafin

Dashaansafin Senior member

3. hermes

hermes Senior member

get rid of the gel
    you need something will coat the shaft of the hair and give it some additional strength
    switch to a paste or clay product for thin hair

kms molding paste is very good
    baxter of california clay pomade is very good
    both will give a good hold but are matte and therefore not shiney

there are other products on the market so you can try any kind of paste of clays

4. imhotep

imhotep Senior member

try the american crew citrus mint clay.

if you want to spend more, get the aveda grooming clay.

5. ArMiXiA

ArMiXiA Well-Known Member

Hey guys, not to hijack the thread or anything, but I have thick dark hair and find that Gel leaves my hair looking greasy, can anyone recommend any specific hair mousse (sp?) or hair wax ?

6. MrG

MrG Senior member

I use Bumble and bumble styling wax. It holds the hair in place, but it still lets it move. You can run your fingers through your hair and it doesn't feel like a rock the way gel makes it feel, but it will hold a style. Also, if you don't use too much it won't leave your hair looking like it needs an oil change.

7. flopez1972

flopez1972 New Member

Thanks for all the replies. Do clays or pastes work better than creams or pomades? Does it depend on the type of hair? I am looking for something that is not too difficult to find.

8. MrG

MrG Senior member

Thanks for all the replies. Do clays or pastes work better than creams or pomades? Does it depend on the type of hair? I am looking for something that is not too difficult to find.

Yes, it depends on the type of hair. You would just have to try some stuff out and see what works the best. It will all work, but there are certain products that are better suited for certain hair types (and, to a lesser extent, certain styles).

Bumble and bumble is easy to find. I buy mine at the salon that cuts my hair, but Amazon has it for about what I pay. I'm sure you could find it elsewhere as well.

A link to the stuff I use on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Bumble-bumble-...7308528&sr=8-3

9. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Senior member

You name it! Ive used it! Been through a lot of trial and error until i started usiing ENJOY Dry Wax. Its has a non-greasy matte finish. It's a nice firm hold and moveable texture. Give it a try.

10. purple ear

purple ear New Member

You name it! Ive used it! Been through a lot of trial and error until i started usiing ENJOY Dry Wax. Its has a non-greasy matte finish. It's a nice firm hold and moveable texture. Give it a try.
    any particular brand?

11. Star

Star Senior member

American Crew Fiber. It will give you texture and pliable hold without the shine or greese.

[​IMG]

Rub a small amount on your palms and then rub your hands through your hair and style. I suggest you damp your hair a little however can do the same on fully dry hair.

Lose the Gel.

12. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Senior member

any particular brand?

The Brand is called "Enjoy"
    [​IMG]

13. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

I used bumble sumotech for a while but now really like aveda grooming clay.

14. thebarber

thebarber Member

Hi there,

I have straight, fairly thin hair. It is of medium length (over 3 inches) and difficult to keep in place unless I use quite a bit of gel. I have used the American Crew Firm Hold Styling Gel, which kept my hair in place, but left it hard and shiny. I was thinking of switching to the AC Forming Cream or the AC Texture Cream. I want something that will keep my hair in place throughout the day without leaving it hard or greasy. Does anyone know of a product that would help. Styling tips would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

Bumble and Bumble styling wax works well and so will it's sumotech. It all depends, how are you wearing your hair? If you are styling it back and want the shine, then I wouuld go with the styling wax. If you are wanting your hair to look fulller with less shine (matted look), them sumotech!

15. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

Gatsby. http://www.gatsby.jp/tv/#/index/tech...ber/wild_shake You can get it on eBay fairly inexpensively. And it really does work as well as it does in this video. Obviously it's done in a less "safe" style, but you can use this wax to simply hold your hair in place. If you want help on picking the correct one, feel free to PM me.