• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair styles for man with fine blond hair?

Morgan111

Reaction score
Hi -

I'm a man (34) with long, fine blond hair... which I've kept for 10 years out of habit, but in fact I hate it and so does everyone else! I can't manage a ponytail (the front corners never get long enough to reach it) so I see no option but to cut it short. Fine by me--change is good!

I'm seeking suggestions on shorter styles that might look good. My friends/family have no advice, but they're unanimous that my hair has looked bad for a long time. Hairstylists just shrug and ask me what *I* want, but I really have no ideas. I look at pictures but nothing jumps out at me, and besides my hair is too fine and light for a lot of styles. The slightest wind (or static) makes it an instant mess--especially when it's long.

I don't want to pick a new bad hairstyle to replace the old, so although it goes against my grain, I've decided to care what other people think
smile.gif
I want a style that OTHER people like.

My main requirement is that I don't want to be applying daily chemicals or treatments. If there's a cut that I can manage with just brush/comb, that would be ideal.

But all options are welcome--even something new I could do while it's long. I'll consider anything. But I also don't want people to have the wrong stereotypes about me. People seem to think I'm a biker, and store owners watch me like a hawk. In actual fact I'm a shy, harmless computer artist. And for what it's worth, people think I look younger than 34, and I feel younger, so I'm not aiming too conservative.

Here is my hair now (and sometimes I trim it more evenly but it's still bad):
http://www.myspace.com/morgan404

That lasts about 3 seconds and then it's an even worse mess
smile.gif

Thanks for any advice.

--Morgan

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
0719nashbig.jpg

Try Steve Nash's new do...

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the second picture Ralph Fiennes? That look might work, although he probably is using "product" to hold the hair and make it appear thicker.

Or you could go with a style that's not shaved, crew-cut, or buzz-cut, but side-parted and no more than medium-long. If that's okay with your personality, which doesn't seem to be mainstream. Combed asymmetrically over part of the forehead in front, a la Keanu Reeves, but not as long, might work.The good news is that your face shape will do fine with almost any hairstyle that you could maintain without "product." The restriction should be on width, so that you don't have a big-head, narrow-body look.

Morgan111

Reaction score
Many thanks, all! (I didn't mean to ignore the responses--I thought I was subscribed to the thread but I wasn't.) I'm too chicken to go super-short, but you've given me things to think about. Non-mainstream is OK. (Not that would have a clue what a mainstream look might be anyway
smile.gif
) Forgive my ignorance--is this two different suggestions, or one? * "side-parted and no more than medium-long" * "Combed asymmetrically over part of the forehead in front, a la Keanu Reeves, but not as long" (My Googling turns up so many different pictures of Keanu that I'm not sure what to judge by.) Thanks again, Morgan

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, if you are brushing your hair, knock it off. That's why it looks f@ck1n frizzy! Your going to have to get used to using product (even just a small amount). You'll never notice it and it'll do wonders for your hair's health and frizziness. Just curious, what is your reasoning behind not wanting any products in your hair? Judging by your Myspace you don't want to use any environmentally harmful chemicals or products that have been tested on animals. Abba is Vegan (or close too it) and Aveda is very close also. Use these products as you will have no excuse not to. Second, get a light styling product (soft hold gel, Aveda's Pure Abundance Hair Potion?) Third, your hair isn't too far off from looking real good. It needs to be shaped up by a stylist. I think keeping some length would be good for you but not as much as you have now and you just need a little bit of product. It'll do wonders! Fourth, Juggling? Hmmm. Get some Nudies, a chain wallet, a cool t-shirt and don't juggle anything unless on fire or motorized (which I see you do already). Chicks dig that. And change your Intro for myspace and remove "Daddy Log" from your myspace friends!! The attitude will help sell you new cool haircut!!
laugh.gif
Just kidding of course... Think Taylor Hawkins and Brad Pitt. (See pics below) Hawkins BestPitt Pitt1 Pitt2 Pitt3 Pitt4

Morgan111

Reaction score
Thanks! Pics are very useful. I do brush--long habit that I never think about--but a comb might be better. (I'm not totally opposed to a product, just aiming to do without if I can. If not, so be it
smile.gif
The main reason I wanted to try for something that doesn't need a product is that I can see myself being lazy about using it right, and then it does me no good. Toxicity is also a concern, but I can choose what to use--and how much--as you say. Everyone tells me to use mousse, and they may well win me over.) Actually, some of those pics look exactly like what happens to my hair if I don't wash it. Problem solved
smile.gif
And for the record, juggling fire and long hair do not mix. I know from experience.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Morgan111
Thanks! Pics are very useful.

I do brush--long habit that I never think about--but a comb might be better.

(I'm not totally opposed to a product, just aiming to do without if I can. If not, so be it
smile.gif
The main reason I wanted to try for something that doesn't need a product is that I can see myself being lazy about using it right, and then it does me no good. Toxicity is also a concern, but I can choose what to use--and how much--as you say. Everyone tells me to use mousse, and they may well win me over.)

Actually, some of those pics look exactly like what happens to my hair if I don't wash it. Problem solved
smile.gif

And for the record, juggling fire and long hair do not mix. I know from experience.

I'm glad you are open to using a product, but personally, I wouldn't use mousse. I'm not sure it would give you a hairstyle that's comfortable. Mousse can get a little "crunchy" in the hair after it dries which is fine if one needs some hold. I don't think you need as much hold as much as something to give some definition and 'piece-y-ness' and eliminate frizziness. A soft hold gel or the aforementioned Aveda product would probably work best. Please experiment! (and find a good stylist that can recommend some good products)

Any products are easy to use as you just need to put a small amount in when your hair is wet. Run it through your hair with your hands, then forget about it.

Also, as I said before, no more brushes. Your fingers and hands are the best styling tool and the 2nd best tool is one of these.

Morgan111

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll be sure to investigate one of those contraptions! (My hair tangles easily so I need something beyond fingers sometimes.)

I'll look at products beyond mousse--it's all greek to me. I thought mousse was a food.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Morgan111
Thanks, I'll be sure to investigate one of those contraptions! (My hair tangles easily so I need something beyond fingers sometimes.)

I'll look at products beyond mousse--it's all greek to me. I thought mousse was a food.

I have a feeling you aren't really doing anything for your hair at all. Your hair won't tangle if you use a decent shampoo and a moisturizing conditioner every other week.

Try these if your interested or find something that you think you might like:

Shampoo

Conditioner every 2 weeks - you need a light moisturizing conditioner because if the conditioner is heavy it will weigh your hair down.

Detangler

There are tons of products out there if you don't like any of these.

Nancy7791

Reaction score
It's really hard to choose the right haircut, what's more different opinions make you finally lost.
There is one web resourse I usually appeal to before going to a hairdresser - makeoveridea. It's free and of high quality.

I really enjoy it. You may try on different hairstyles and many other stuff there on your photo.

Good luck!

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Morgan111

Reaction score
Thanks, Nancy--I've been having fun in Photoshop (which is how I decided NOT to lose the beard) and that site could be even easier. And thanks for all the other info too--it's all bookmarked and will be studied
smile.gif
I do like the BestPitt option. I happened to see a big-spaced comb at the store today and bought it, so I'm on my way. (Not quite a prison weapon like that one in the picture though.) FWIW I currently use: Shampoo - Suave Naturals (33% less baby harp seal than regular Suave) Conditioner - Suave Naturals (2x a week or so--I don't know that it's "moisturizing") De-tangling spray - occasionally (I haven't needed it much since I started using conditioner)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads