• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair style for a young guy with thinning hair

Pinhas

Reaction score

Not any that I noticed. I've seen some of those lawsuit ads on TV talking about having trouble with ED, but I haven't had any problems at all. One thing going for me is that I'm a young guy in my early 20's so it might be different for guys who are a little older.

I am 25, and have been slowly baling for the past 3-4 years. My hair is curly, so for a while it wasn't showing, but this summer I decided to buzz it and I love it. Lately though, the crown has been showing skin and even though I will probably keep it short, I still want to have a full-ish head of short hair.

I ordered Rogaine this week and will start using it this weekend, and have been wrestling with taking Propecia for years now; at first I was inclined to pull the trigger, but lately an abundance of sex made me conscious that any possible problems with erections and ED are far worse than a bald head.

I read that the working principle of Propecia and Saw Palmetto is similar, and when I took SP I never had problems with ED, so I am hoping that IF I do take Propecia it will be the same case.

In any way, good luck with your treatment and it does look like its working. Any tips on maximizing effects of Rogaine and any other application tips?

Last edited:

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You still keep enough hair. Don't miss this opportunity. Try it longer, combed to the back. Be proud of your forehead.
When things get worse (i.e. your forehead is no longer a forehead anymore but a skull), just shave your head to 2 mm.

Thanks for the advice. I really wish I could find a good barber or hair stylist around here to make something like that work. I'm always pretty bad at describing the look that I'm going for.

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am 25, and have been slowly baling for the past 3-4 years. My hair is curly, so for a while it wasn't showing, but this summer I decided to buzz it and I love it. Lately though, the crown has been showing skin and even though I will probably keep it short, I still want to have a full-ish head of short hair.
I ordered Rogaine this week and will start using it this weekend, and have been wrestling with taking Propecia for years now; at first I was inclined to pull the trigger, but lately an abundance of sex made me conscious that any possible problems with erections and ED are far worse than a bald head.
I read that the working principle of Propecia and Saw Palmetto is similar, and when I took SP I never had problems with ED, so I am hoping that IF I do take Propecia it will be the same case.
In any way, good luck with your treatment and it does look like its working. Any tips on maximizing effects of Rogaine and any other application tips?

I think the cases of ED were just in a small percentage of men, but I could be wrong. The one thing that scared me about rogaine was that I used it before buzzing and when you first start you begin to shed some hair. This made me think that it was making everything worse and I almost ended up quitting before it began to grow the hair back. My advice is to just stick with it for more than 2 months. If you are buzzing your hair short then the whole shedding thing shouldn't be as obvious as it was with me when I had medium length hair.

Last edited:

maxpatch

Reaction score
any advice for a blondie with thinning hair on my forehead and crown? Hair is currently 2 inches long, noticeably thin, nobody says anything about it but I guess that's pretty normal. I actually like the way I look when I look in the mirror but in pictures I shudder. I have no idea how I would look with a shaved head, may try it out before I go on a long backpacking trip. Any help would be greatly appreciated

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried Biotin? I have been on it for 2 years. I have long hair to my shoulders and it was recommended to me to help prevent thinning.
I can't say that it has done me any harm, so I keep taking it. It is supposed to help strengthen hair and nails.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biotin

Perhaps see your doctor or a Tricholigist for a professional opinion.

Last edited:

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The less hair you have, the shorter you want it.

Buzz it.

imhotep

Reaction score

any advice for a blondie with thinning hair on my forehead and crown? Hair is currently 2 inches long, noticeably thin, nobody says anything about it but I guess that's pretty normal. I actually like the way I look when I look in the mirror but in pictures I shudder. I have no idea how I would look with a shaved head, may try it out before I go on a long backpacking trip. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I have some advice. Go on Propecia. Do it as soon as possible. Don't listen to hearsay bullshit about side effects but instead investigate them from reliable medical sources. There is a legitimate treatment for hairless but stupidity is preventing people from utilizing it.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have some advice. Go on Propecia. Do it as soon as possible. Don't listen to hearsay bullshit about side effects but instead investigate them from reliable medical sources. There is a legitimate treatment for hairless but stupidity is preventing people from utilizing it.

Adverse effects

Side effects of finasteride include impotence (1.1% to 18.5%), abnormal ejaculation (7.2%), decreased ejaculatory volume (0.9% to 2.8%), abnormal sexual function (2.5%), gynecomastia (2.2%), erectile dysfunction (1.3%), ejaculation disorder (1.2%) and testicular pain. According to the product package insert, resolution occurred in men who discontinued therapy with finasteride due to these side effects and in most men who continued therapy. The PPI also states that patients have reported persisting erectile dysfunction despite discontinuing the drug. In December 2010, Merck added depression as a side effect of finasteride.

In November 1997, an FDA panel refused to recommend approval of the drug Propecia for male pattern baldness. Although it was not disputing its efficacy, the committee members expressed some concerns about the possibility of long-term side effects on sexual function and possibly even fertility, which arose because of some evidence of diminished ejaculate levels.

Prostate cancer

The FDA has added a warning to finasteride concerning an increased risk of high-grade prostate cancer.[16] While the effect of finasteride on the risk of developing prostate cancer has not been established, evidence suggests it may temporarily reduce the growth and prevalence of benign prostate tumors, but could also mask the early detection of prostate cancer. The primary concern is patients who develop prostate cancer while taking finasteride for benign prostatic hyperplasia, which in turn could delay diagnosis and early treatment of the prostate cancer, thereby potentially increasing the risk of these patients developing high-grade prostate cancer.

The 2005 Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial (PCPT) showed at a dosage of 5 mg per day, as is commonly prescribed for BPH, participants taking finasteride were 25% less likely to have developed prostate cancer at the end of the trial compared to those taking a placebo.[18] It appeared (incorrectly) that finasteride increased the specificity and selectivity of prostate cancer detection, thus creating an apparently increased rate of high Gleason grade tumor. A 2008 update of this study found that finasteride reduces the incidence of prostate cancer by 30%. In the original study, the smaller prostate caused by finasteride facilitated detection of cancer nests and aggressive-looking cells. Most of the men in the study who had both low and high-grade prostate cancer chose to be treated, and many had their prostates removed. A pathologist then carefully examined each of those 500 prostates and compared the kinds of cancers found at surgery to those initially diagnosed at biopsy. This study concluded that finasteride did not increase the risk of high-grade prostate cancer.

Sexual side effects
There are case reports of persistent diminished libido or erectile dysfunction, even after stopping the drug.[21] In December 2008, the Swedish Medical Products agency concluded a safety investigation of finasteride and advised that finasteride may cause irreversible sexual dysfunction. The Agency's updated safety information lists difficulty in obtaining an erection that persists indefinitely, even after the discontinuation of finasteride, as a possible side effect of the drug.[22] The UK's Medical and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) cites reports of erectile dysfunction that persists once use of finasteride has stopped.[23] Similar labeling changes have been made by the Italian government. For a period of time there was a discrepancy between

European and North American warning labels regarding the risks of developing persistent sexual side effects from taking Propecia but after two years in April 2011 Merck revised the United States' warning in consumer and medical leaflets to include erectile dysfunction that may persist after stopping finasteride.[24] In April 2012, the FDA chose to approve Merck's proposed labeling from 2011 only after the warning label was further strengthened to include reports of persistent libido disorders, ejaculation disorders, orgasm disorders, and decreased libido.

Anxiety and depression
Finasteride has been found to robustly induce depressive and anxious behaviors in animals.[28] Accordingly, its clinical use has been associated with depression and anxiety in both men and women in at least several reports in the medical literature.[29] In one study, at a dose of 1 mg per day, finasteride induced moderate to severe depression in 19 of 23 or 83% of participants, notably including all of the female patients.[11] In addition, marked anxiety occurred comorbidly with the depressive symptoms in some cases. Another study with a larger sample size of 128 men, though no women, also at a dose of 1 mg per day, found that finasteride increased both BDI and HADS depression scores significantly.[30] It also increased HADS anxiety scores, though this was not found to be statistically significant. The authors concluded that finasteride should be prescribed cautiously to patients at a high risk of depression.
In late 2010, Merck revised the label of its Propecia formulation of finasteride in the United States and Canada to add depression to the list of possible side effects.

In August 2012, a study of 61 former users of finasteride with persistent sexual side effects found that 75% of them showed significantly higher rates of depressive symptoms relative to a control group. Of the treated men, 36% had severe symptoms, 28% had moderate symptoms, and 11% had mild symptoms. In addition, 44% of these men reported suicidal ideation. In the control group of 29 men, 10% showed depressive symptoms, with all of these cases being mild, and 3% reported thoughts of suicide. It was concluded that finasteride may cause symptoms of depression and suicidal ideation in some persons which can persist even after discontinuation of treatment.

Male breast cancer
In December 2009, the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency in the UK announced new drug safety advice on finasteride and the potential risk of male breast cancer. The agency concluded that, although overall incidence of male breast cancer in clinical trials for finasteride 5 mg was not significantly increased, a higher risk of male breast cancer with finasteride use cannot be excluded. A warning on this risk will be included in the product information.[34] Merck revised the United States' warning in consumer and medical leaflets to include the risk of male breast cancer.

Last edited:

imhotep

Reaction score

Adverse effects

Yes, there are percentages assigned to specific side effects as for any drug. I think you copied that from wikipedia? Prostate cancer risk has not been convincingly shown to be increased with use of the drug. Nor the risk of male breast cancer. Yes, there is an association with sexual dysfunction in a small percentage of users, which is reported to resolve after discontinuation of the drug. The evidence that these issues continued in some after discontinuation of the drug is inadequate at best. However, the company still has to report it as something that a portion of users complained about even though it hasn't been shown that that they simply haven't developed dysfunction on their own, as many middle-aged men do.

What you just posted is exactly what I am talking about. A layperson will see that and then think that the drug causes prostate cancer and male breast cancer. Which is not true at all and this is actually what is being said, although most laypeople will not get that message. Looking at one small study here and there is a good way to acquire misinformation. What do the meta analyses say? What is the general consensus? These are the important questions.

Look up the possible side effects of phenylephrine or any common over the counter drug and see how they compare. Look up the side effects of azithromycin, which is commonly given for minor upper respiratory tract infections, and see how it compares.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No way I would use a hair loss drug with that side effect profile.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Think I'd rather be bald than risk erectile dysfunction. Women seem to like bald men, but I don't think they like impotence.

Has any of this stuff been proven to actually work and prevent hair loss, or is it just snake oil with side-effects?

Last edited:

imhotep

Reaction score

Think I'd rather be bald than risk erectile dysfunction. Women seem to like bald men, but I don't think they like impotence.

Has any of this stuff been proven to actually work and prevent hair loss, or is it just snake oil with side-effects?

Minoxodil and Propecia have both been proven to work. Both were originally developed for other uses (hypertension and benign prostatic hyperplasia, respectively) and it was serendipitously found that they prevent hair loss and partially cause regrowth at lesser dosages.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads