Hair style for a young guy with thinning hair

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Texastyle, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

I'm reaching the acceptance stage of grief over the fate of my hair. I realize that I look like shit right now and want to do something pro active about it but I am a little puzzled about what action to take. I'm meeting with a dermatologist to get a prescription for for propecia and have been using rogaine for about a month and a half (which might account for my recent "shedding").

Basically, do you guys have any hairstyle recommendations that would suit my face? I don't want to do the fully bald thing because I know I will look like skeletor.

I don't have any pictures of the actual thinning (you can tell how high my hairline is though) but the worst thinning is on my crown area. The sad thing is that these pictures were only two months ago but I do anything to have my hair back to that point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jjangles

jjangles Member

Dude, no reason to be in grief over it. Buzz it down to almost nothing (think Jason Statham style), work out, put on a few pounds, and look swole. You'll realize at one point it doesn't matter if you have hair or not, it's all about how you project yourself. No reason to worry man.

3. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

That's what I did, Didn't really want to start doing silly comb-overs, or wigs, or transplants, or anything like that.

Maybe start wearing a hat?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011

4. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

How short are we talking here? I'm guessing I could start with a number 5 clipper and work down until it starts looking weird. Thanks for the helpful comment.

Mike, I appreciate the humor. I wish I had the head shape for the bald look but I can't seem to imagine myself pulling it off.

5. jjangles

jjangles Member

Nah, 5 is too long. I personally use a 1 - close cropped and tight. Just consider it a new experience - buzz your hair down and feel like a different person. And if you don't like it, what you have will grow back. But again, consider this a transformation which depending on your mentality could be a great thing.

6. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

Sorry to keep bugging you for more responses, but does cutting it so short make the thinning/bald spot look even more prominent? I definitely don't want to be one of those guys who tries to cling on to the very last hair, but I want to make sure that if I get it cut short that I'm not making it even worse.

7. jjangles

jjangles Member

Nah, it doesn't highlight anything. All it shows is that you're comfortable in your own skin to say fuck it. If it's going, it's going - can't fight nature or continue to swim against the tide. If you try to grow it out, that's when you're highlighting that you're going bald.

Off the top of my head, think of Jason Statham or Bruce Willis as two awesomely cool dudes who said fuck it. Again, it's about how you carry and project yourself, not the hair you have on your head.

8. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

You're definitely right about having to own up to it and not trying to look like you are trying to cover it up. I have a goofy head, but I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow. I just wish this whole thing happened a few weeks from now because I'm meeting up with a girl who I've had a crush on forever and she hasn't seen me since I started really losing my hair recently.

9. lexquis

lexquis New Member

I don't have experience with this personally nor am I an expert or anything, but from a layman's view I agree with jjangles that a buzz cut or even a close shave would be the best route for you to go. You seem to have a pretty oval and defined facial features, so I think a buzz cut would suit you quite well. Usually a buzz cut will really create the illusion that your bald/thinning spots have "blended" with your hair so it's not as noticeable, but if you think it's still a little too awkward then maybe a close shave will do the trick to "blend" it even more.

10. jjangles

jjangles Member

Perfect - you should meet up with this girl with a new look. Go in with the fuck it attitude, this is who you are, take it or leave it and watch it work magic. Remember, the only person who cares about your hairstyle is you, no one else.

Btw, to add to the fuck it effect, pull the 5 o'clock shadow look into the equation.

11. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

Just stay fit and keep it short.

Oh, and it's not too late for Propecia, Rogaine, or a mix of both. Worth the money. It won't save your hair but it will delay the inevitable.

12. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

I was actually thinking about trying to grow out a beard to balance everything out. I don't want to look like I'm compensating for losing my hair, but I've always wanted to try a beard and this seems like a good time to give it a shot.

13. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

Alright, I promise this is the last question. Do you guys recommend going to somewhere like supercuts or should I try and go to a saloon (I've never been to one before so I don't know what to expect)? I was hoping that someone with experience could suggest the right length or even possibly alternative styles.

14. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

I wanted to update you guys. I got a 2 all over and I'm still in shock, but honestly I do feel much better. I think a lot of my friends are going to think I look awful but I at least feel like I took some control over the situation. Thanks for your help!

15. acularw

acularw Senior member

Mind posting a pic? I have a receding hairline too and have considered this. I think my head shape is similar to yours...