• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair stuff

thc

Reaction score
Me: Kiehl's Creme with Silk Groom

Ramius

Reaction score
Recently while visiting family in the U.K. I was introduced to the "Bed Head" line of products.  There manufactured by TIGI who a course owned Toni & Guy. Anyway I love their products, and swear by them.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use Iso Disciplining Gel to smooth out my hair, and then apply Kiehl's "Wet Look" Groom. The "Wet Look" is the same as the Creme with Silk Groom, but without the oil base.

Also; does anyone know of a hair product that mimicks the natural oil your scalp produces. I hate the way my hair looks after shampooing, even though I'll use a deep conditioner, its so dry. My hair looks best when I wash it at night and then wake up, because of the natural oils secreted overnight.

thc

Reaction score
Mike C: Try a molding cream. I think that produces something similar to what you're looking for. I used to use it, but it was a little too heavy for me. I used one made by MOP. Let me know if you have any questions.

GQ Docter

Reaction score
I use "Moisture Maniac Shampoo and Conditioner" by TIGI.

Here are other things you should keep in mind about your hair:

1. Wash your hair every day, but avoid using shampoo and conditioner more then 4 times a week.

2. When using shampoo, message the shampoo to the scalp. However, when using conditioner avoid the scalp and try to work the conditioner on the tip of your hair.

3. Strange as it may seem, the dirtier you hair is the better it looks.  

4. If you swim often use a "clarifying" shampoo once a week.

5. Look at the label. Here is a guide to how gentle your shampoo is according to the surfactant used:

Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate - very, very, harsh
Ammonium Laureth Sulfate- very harsh but better than the above
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate- better than the above, but still a little harsh
Sodium Laureth Sulfate-gentle, great pick
TEA lauryl Sulfate-good pick
TEA Laureth Sulfate-good pick

6. It is not necessary to do the "rinse and repeat" unless you have an excessively oily scalp.

7. Get a "salon-brand" product to avoid products that result in residue.
   8. Most importantly, ensure that any cleaning product you use in you hair is thoroughly washed unless explicitly written to leave in. Leaving in shampoo and conditioner will cause your hair to dull.

thc

Reaction score
For shampoo and conditioner, I use a brand called Aesop.  However when I finish it, I want to try Phytotherathrie because I've heard great things, and I tried a sample of the Phytorhum shampoo and really liked it.  I also, use Rene Furterer Hair Treatment every couple of weeks or so.

For styling, I use, in addition to Kiehls Creme with Silk Groom, Kiehl's hair gel or Rene Furterer Styling Wax to control fly-away hair.  But I'm pretty happy with the Silk Groom.

One line of products I can't stand, at least for styling, is Aveda.  The stuff smells and seems to decompose after a week...

DallasBoy

Reaction score
I have naturally dark blonde hair but get lighter highlights so I use Shimmer Lights shampoo by L'Oreal. It keeps the highlights from turning brassy.

Then Kiehl's Conditioner and Grooming Aid (I don't leave it in but rinse it out).

For styling I use Mastermind by Toni & Guy and finish it off with Hard Head, also by T&G.

Pop a propecia to make sure it all stays in and I'm out the door.

FRATERNITYSTUD

Reaction score
Guys,
Since we are on the topic of hair products, I have a major hair dilemna going on. Being in Sweden, I don't have access to some of the hair products being back in the States. I bought KMS hair shampoo/conditioner a few months back, and it worked pretty well. But I just bought Redken's products, and I hate the way they work.. I have fine, wavy blonde hair, so I want a volumizing shampoo/conditioner. Do you guys have any recommendations? I normally use Rusk back at home, but they don't sell it here in Sweden.. Thanks for the help.

3dYrLaw

Reaction score
To respond to GQ Doctor's list of ingredients:

I use Infusium 23 Shampoo and Conditioner.  It has Sodium Laureth Sulfate that he mentioned and it is great.  I have longer hair (about 9-10 inches) and find it to be the best shampoo I have tried yet.

Dragonfly

Reaction score
Hey fratstud..
have you tried hair thickening spray from Kiehl?. a friend of mine use it and he said it helps in adding volume to the hair...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads