• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair product that holds styles without looking greasy?

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried gel and wax to hold certain hairstyles I like, but both left my hair greasy and unnatural looking. Is there something that will hold a style dry and make it look just like the natural way my hair lays?

bigbadbill

Reaction score
There have probably been tens of threads made on this topic... you might want to try using the search function next time.
Anyways, in short, there are a lot of "matte" products (which are judging by your description what you're looking for) that are pretty popular. Just look for waxes, clays, and maybe some pastes. Some popular brands are Sebastian, American Crew, Redken, and Aveda among many others. Just search the forum.

Twisty

Reaction score
From years of trial and failure, I have come to the following:

Gatsby "Grundge Matte" Hair Wax
Gatsby "Perfect Hold Wax: SHort Hair Hard"
Nakano Styling Tanto Wax [Hard Type] 4
Arimino Spicystars "Freeze Wax"

I've had long hair striaghtened, short hair spiked, and medium hair styling. Currently I wear a medium short hair style and the Gatsby is the go to.

Good Luck!

PS - The key is in the shampoo and conditioner. Shampoo everynight before bed, and condition accordingly. Shampoo should be matched to your scalp type - Dry, Oily, Medium.

Twisty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stavros
American Crew Fiber.

In my experience...American Crew was overpriced and greasy.

Everyone's hair is different though...
plain.gif

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbadbill
There have probably been tens of threads made on this topic... you might want to try using the search function next time.
Wow, you sure do know a lot about this forum, this being your 5th post and your join date was this month
laugh.gif
just kidding

Originally Posted by bigbadbill
Just look for waxes, clays, and maybe some pastes. Some popular brands are Sebastian, American Crew, Redken, and Aveda among many others. Just search the forum.
I'm pretty sure the problem I have is not what brand it is, it's just that all that waxes and clay 'matte' stuff left the threads of my hair stuck together and gave a spiky look i didn't want. All I basically want is for my hair to run and lay a certain way without looking like it has any moisture in it... basically as it looks after your finished blow drying.

Inficius

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Twisty
PS - The key is in the shampoo and conditioner. Shampoo everynight before bed, and condition accordingly. Shampoo should be matched to your scalp type - Dry, Oily, Medium.

I've always heard that it's best to wash your hair only a few times a week. I guess it depends on your hair type more than anything, but if you're hair feels dry then don't wash it. Of course, if you're going to be using a lot of product, then it might not matter anyways.

Twisty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Inficius
I've always heard that it's best to wash your hair only a few times a week. I guess it depends on your hair type more than anything, but if you're hair feels dry then don't wash it. Of course, if you're going to be using a lot of product, then it might not matter anyways.
That's true. I used to only wash my hair two-three times a week. The natural oils are actually healthy... But, I found my pillow sheets accumulated bacteria, and my face slightly broke out. I'd say the best bet is to wash every night with a very light shampoo. Sort of like your gentle cleanser for your face (of course you use gentle cleanser!). I condition from two times a week...usually I'll condition at night when I feel my hair is slightly dry. My secret weapon is the 'pre-shampoo' solution. A little expensive, but affective. edit: I take a shower twice a day, once in the morning and evening. I'll only shampoo at night
smile.gif

youdee

Reaction score
My favourites are any clay products like Vo5 Matte Effect and texture powders like Clynol which is great for shorter hair if you're looking for a matte, messy effect.

CyanideDragon

Reaction score
I've been using the V05 "putty" for the past year and found it does nicely. I can mange easily and rework later it the day when it gets matted down from my headset @ work. My hair does not look greasy & it washes out nicely.

MissGerry

Reaction score
Soooo glad to see your input on this matter...I am a medical transcriptionist and just got a Bose headset that is squishing my hair something awful. I cut my hair off really short, and now am trying to find a way to spike it without it being greasy!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads