• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair Loss Prevention article

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a brand-new article. What do you think? Should it include more explanations and factoids?

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070516/hl_nm/hair_dc
Just read this one . . . hope springs eternal.
toupee.gif

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Here is a brand-new article. What do you think? Should it include more explanations and factoids?
They probably don't know anything as of yet. Also, anything can grow hair on mice, some of these things include alcohol and crazy glue. Until I see it in vivo in humans, I'm not going to get too excited. Either way, the same story will be, "we'll have a cure in 3-5 years" just like they've been saying since 1995. My big hope was Curis www.curis.com but they pulled the plug this week or last due to cancer concerns. Now, the next big one is www.neosil.com with their OSH101 compound, they are much further along but have still been sitting idle for several years until several months ago. Preliminary trials actually worked on humans I think. This new treatment in the article you posted seems to be a rehash of a technique called needling, where you poke tiny holes in your scalp to break apart scar tissue and generate teh healing response. Some people have claimed great success with it but I couldn't get it to work and didn't spend too much time on it.
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070516/hl_nm/hair_dc Just read this one . . . hope springs eternal.
Balancing essential ***** acids should be at the top of this list. Take at least 1000mg of fish oil with each meal.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, tiecollector. I'm fifty-one; for the most part my hair loss SEEMS to have slowed. Still have plenty of hair. Not a full head, but I'm thankful in any case. I'm a proponent of scalp massage. Fifteen minutes every night. I use a massaging tool when washing my hair, as well.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think massage will only work to break up collagen interlinking and scar tissue in the scalp, making follicles have an easier time expanding.

I take a slew of supplements and I have documented my progress over the last year and have gotten a lot of my hair to grow back. Thinning areas are salvageable but slick bald areas I still don't have an answer for.

If you have any dandruff or itching in your scalp, this will go away within a week with the right balance of essential ***** acids and anti-oxidants.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use Walgreen's Dandruff shampoo. Works great. My 'bare' spot, still has a light covering of hair. I believe the spot has lessened in size, since my vigorous massages, began. I noticed a difference after taking Ginkgo, too.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The laser comb, kind of a massage, has been shown to help, a little.

Essential ***** acids, huh? Since credible sources mention deficiency thereof as a cause, that will be added to the article. Thanks.

Nicesuit

Reaction score
Hair multiplication will soon be available and then none of this stuff will matter.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The laser comb, kind of a massage, has been shown to help, a little.

Essential ***** acids, huh? Since credible sources mention deficiency thereof as a cause, that will be added to the article. Thanks.

The laser comb is FDA-approved and yes, it actually works. I have an friend of a friend, a 31 year old male, who uses this and I've noticed a visible difference.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicesuit
Hair multiplication will soon be available and then none of this stuff will matter.

Sure, it is just 3-5 years away since 1995.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Self-care that prevents hair loss is good for other things. That is one argument against solely waiting/hoping for a cure. The usual high cost of fixing a significant amount of lost hair is another. The article has been revised to better explain additional reasons for active prevention.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought the lasercomb when it first got FDA phase2 approval 2.5 years ago. It had a minimal, if any, effect. People commented that my hair did look darker overall. At $699 I paid, it certainly was not worth it.

If you want to try it, though, check out a cheaper alternative: http://www.amazinglasercomb.com/ which HairMax is continually trying to sue.

Or, upgade to the aculas laser, which I have heard VERY good things about: http://www.aculas.com/

The HairMax lasercomb has the weakest laser out of all of them. The aculas uses much stronger lasers (20mW if I remember correctly) but the price has been prohibitive for me. I chatted with the guy who made the amazing laser comb and he said anything stronger than 5mW laser diodes he uses wasn't shown to be any more beneficial.

I still use my HairMax model because I spent so much money on it.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Self-care that prevents hair loss is good for other things. That is one argument against solely waiting/hoping for a cure. The usual high cost of fixing a significant amount of lost hair is another. The article has been revised to better explain additional reasons for active prevention.

Right, I'm convinced that hairloss is a symptom of some other imbalance or ailment. I don't buy into the "it's part of getting older" or "genetics says so" arguments.

Prevention is the only real cure!

dapperdude

Reaction score
Like Minoxidil, all these "prevention" techniques (eating omega 3's, scalp massage, dandruff shampoo) can possibly do is to make existing hair more healthy or slightly thicker. They cannot prevent hair loss due to genetics. Not a bad thing, but let's be clear about this.

If the reason men lose their hair is because of bad diet and so forth, how do you explain men with average diets and poor health, walking around with thick heads of hair? There are plenty of people who fall into this category.

Likewise, there are also bald athletes in top shape. Since exercise increases insulin sensitivity, there goes the argument that sugary foods and lack of exercise cause hair loss.

And so on...

Sure, exercise, take fish oil, avoid excessive carbohydrates, and take your antioxidants. These will all contribute to health, but don't expect them to "cure" you of MPB.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dapperdude
Like Minoxidil, all these "prevention" techniques (eating omega 3's, scalp massage, dandruff shampoo) can possibly do is to make existing hair more healthy or slightly thicker. They cannot prevent hair loss due to genetics. Not a bad thing, but let's be clear about this.

If the reason men lose their hair is because of bad diet and so forth, how do you explain men with average diets and poor health, walking around with thick heads of hair? There are plenty of people who fall into this category.

Likewise, there are also bald athletes in top shape. Since exercise increases insulin sensitivity, there goes the argument that sugary foods and lack of exercise cause hair loss.

And so on...

Sure, exercise, take fish oil, avoid excessive carbohydrates, and take your antioxidants. These will all contribute to health, but don't expect them to "cure" you of MPB.

There are many different factors that lead to hair loss. Finding the cause of your own hair loss is the key.

All I know is that I got my hair to come back and I documented it with pictures and people are *still* telling me in hair loss forums and the like that it was from the propecia I quit taking over a year ago. They are obsessed that lowering DHT is the only thing that can slow hair loss down, which I am living proof that this is not the case.

All the points you brought there are reasons for, and there is no universal preventative measure that anyone can take.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads