• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair Loss Prevention article

skunkworks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Propecia and rogaine will only slow down hairloss at best.

Mmmm... yeah you pretty much lost me right here
confused.gif

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skunkworks
Mmmm... yeah you pretty much lost me right here
confused.gif

Yeah, when you have to think for yourself it gets tough (might be the propecia). Better just stick to reading Merck and Pfizer brochures.

skunkworks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Yeah, when you have to think for yourself it gets tough (might be the propecia). Better just stick to reading Merck and Pfizer brochures.
No, I'm telling you that I've seen my hair regrown and I have pictoral evidence, you ass. I'd rather not have you think for yourself since you seem to be incapable of any sort of reasoning. Enjoy rubbing your power crystals and taking vitamins to fight the "toxins", all while hoping your hair regrows.

vincent

Reaction score
honestly tiecollector you need to relax man.. just shave it off and get over it already

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not just go to Mexico or some poor Euro country and pay someone with the same hair color to be a donor for plugs?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skunkworks
No, I'm telling you that I've seen my hair regrown and I have pictoral evidence, you ass. I'd rather not have you think for yourself since you seem to be incapable of any sort of reasoning. Enjoy rubbing your power crystals and taking vitamins to fight the "toxins", all while hoping your hair regrows.

Well I'm glad it works for you. I hardly think proper nutrition is anything crazy. Anyways, watch out for those side effects, they creep up on you. I still think messing with your hormones can't be good long term. In the end it is just a treatment though, and that isn't as good as a cure.

If you add in proper nutrition, you'll probably see even better results. Everything I've tried does have a theory behind it and I've tried many, including what you are on (You have not tried what I've tried so it's harder for you to knock).

Originally Posted by vincent
honestly tiecollector you need to relax man.. just shave it off and get over it already

You kidding dude, I'm totally calm. The haters ain't no thang. If everyone gave up as easily as you suggest, nobody would get very far.

rxcats

Reaction score
The fact of the matter is that finasteride DOES work for 90% of those taking it. This is based on objective evidence, such as hair counts, and not what someone "thinks". Several double blind studies have been done to date including PLESS (Proscar Long-Term Efficacy and Safety Study); this was a 4 year double-blinded study which shows the drug to be remarkably safe. Double blind studies, for those that don't know, involve studies where neither the patient nor the investigator knows who is getting active drug or placebo (sham treatment) until the study is concluded. This eliminates investigator bias (drug company wants drug to work/low adverse effects and would represent a bias) and allows comparison of drug effects against placebo (Propecia study resulting in 1.8% decreased libido in active arm vs. 1.3% decreased libido in placebo arm).

I was unaware that MPB was increasing among Asian men until it was mentioned in a previous post. I immediately wondered if this had anything to do with the increase in smoking among Asian men since the World Wars. Smoking is known to raise serum testosterone and would naturally raise DHT. I guess I wasn't the first one to make that connection; just google "androgenetic alopecia asian men" (without the quotation marks) and see what comes up.

elijahj

Reaction score
I have been put on Rogaine and Avodart for my hair and even if it does work, I honestly hate the idea of taking the stuff the rest of my life. Rogaine foam smells bad and Avodart then going to Propecia in 6 months is going to be expensive year after year, let alone the side effects I might get from taking it.

rxcats

Reaction score
I won't use Rogaine either; too much mess/smell. Avodart is overkill; why are you taking it? Finasteride works well and has a proven safety record. You can get finasteride 5mg (generic Proscar) and cut it into quarters; it is very cheap. Propecia and Proscar are the same drug, however Propecia is the 1mg strength that was approved later for MPB; it will remain on patent until 2013 (I think). Proscar (5mg strength) is used for BPH and went off-patent a few years ago making it much less expensive. Any drug, or even a supplement, can have side effects; I know people who won't take fish oil because of "burping" fish taste and diarrhea. The side effect profile for finasteride 1mg is very good. Most of the adverse effects reported where nearly the same in both active and placebo groups; the power of suggestion is a powerful thing! The drug has a very short half-life; any related adverse effects will go away quickly (along with your hair).

rxcats

Reaction score
I am at work right now and looked up the pharmacokinetics of Avodart on Micromedex (a subscribed for drug information resource). Avodart has an elimination 1/2 life of up to 5 weeks (Olsson Gisleskog et al, 1999)! Serum levels remain detectable (0.1 ng/mL or higher) for up to 4 to 6 months after discontinuation of treatment with 0.5 mg daily. Compare that to an elimination 1/2 life of 6 hours for finasteride where the drug is virtually eliminated from your body within 24 hours after the last dose is taken. I would skip the Avodart if I were you. I can't really understand the logic of taking Avodart for 6 months then switching to Propecia. Any gains over Propecia alone would surely be lost after switching; if your doctor has any information to the contrary, I would seriously be interested in knowing about it.

elijahj

Reaction score
My hair was thinning pretty bad on the front and lightly on the back of my head. The dermatologist said they were having better hair re growth with the Avodart then Propecia, so he wanted me to start with it for 6 months before switching. I have been on it for about 2 1/2 months right now, and have noticed my hair stopped falling out like it was doing.

rxcats

Reaction score
Originally Posted by elijahj
My hair was thinning pretty bad on the front and lightly on the back of my head. The dermatologist said they were having better hair re growth with the Avodart then Propecia, so he wanted me to start with it for 6 months before switching. I have been on it for about 2 1/2 months right now, and have noticed my hair stopped falling out like it was doing.
I started on 1/4 tablet of Proscar daily back in the mid 1990's before Propecia was even approved. I had hair loss in the front with very little thinning on the crown. I also had two hair transplant procedures done around that same time; this was done to the frontal area only. I completely stopped loosing hair and had minimal to moderate (subjective measure) regrowth since that time. I have absolutely no evidence of thinning on the crown of my head, but still have a "high forhead". I am strongly considering having more transplants done and am checking out physicians for the procedure. I am much less desperate now, because at my age (47), I have more hair than most of my contemporaries. Your dermatologist is correct regarding better regrowth with Avodart, but one would expect that difference, relative to finasteride, to be lost after switching to finasteride. That is the logic I don't quite get. I am interested in knowing if there is any data regarding the idea that finasteride can support the "extra" hair growth accrued by taking Avodart after the Avodart is discontinued.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hair loss sucks. i am not 30 yet and have some apparent hair loss starting this year. not sure if my diet (240lb to 200lb) has anything to do with it. i am taking propecia now hoping it will slow or reverse the effect. going to try that nizoral shampoo.

Originally Posted by Reggs
Is there any healthy way to promote grey hair? Im 23 and hope I go grey before I turn 30. I think it looks great.

it's easy, just overwork your brain. i started to have gray hair during junior high years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads