• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair gel

BarePaw

Reaction score
There seems to be a popular urban myth that hair gel, spray, and other hardening agents make hair fall out sooner than it normally would, thus speeding baldness. Has anyone seen any evidence to support these claims?

NavyStyles

Reaction score
I really hope not. My hair's too long right now to use gel, but it becomes a daily routine when I have short hair. For what it's worth, I have yet to notice much of a change... knock on wood.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haven't seen such evidence, but i have noticed that if you use too much greasy stuff on thinning hair it makes it look much much worse. the strands sortof clump together and stay shiny, and you can see the scalp underneath (also shiny). really not a good look.

thus i stay away from gels and creams like bryl-creem, not to mention goopy stuff like tres flores.

i have started using fiber, which is this waxy stuff. it holds well without any oiliness or stiffness, and seems to add the appearance of thickness.

/andrew

csfbguy

Reaction score
Hair products do not cause baldness, genetics does...

marc37

Reaction score
Tin (the mineral) deficiency is a major cause to male pattern baldness. (All bald people are short of the mineral Tin). Unfortunately l haven't found gel to cause baldness.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
however, whatever stuff you are putting in your hair, if you are putting it in too roughly you could be damaging or stressing your hair. (similar to someone who has a nervous habit of pulling or twisting their hair.)

sam

Reaction score
Here's the basic version: Hair loss is caused when testosterone gets converted to dihydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT in your scalp shrinks the follicles and also restricts blood flow to the capillaries by making a part of the scalp membrane thicken, making new hair growth impossible. So your hair falls out at its natural rate without getting replaced.

Hats, gel, etc. have little to do with it. Castration is an option that may help, but is rather drastic.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, genetics, not gel. Also, hair transplants will help. Especially if you have a thick donor area in the back. That hair, for some unknown reason, is not programmed to fall out like the hair at the top and front (in the typical male pattern balding). I know. I've just completed my second transplant. Two, because my donor area is not that thick so they couldn't get so much the first time..

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just shave your damn head, or crop it short. If you have a good looking head, you'll look good. If you don't have an nicely shaped head, work out, and you'll look badass. Both better than transplants (expensive, no guarantee of them working, can look *really* obvious) or holding onto the your remaining hair and going for the Alan Flusser.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LA Guy: You seem to have transplants confused with something else. They do look natural because it is your own hair. My first one looked totally natural. Just sparse because I have low density hair all over. this second one will fill in nicely.

sam

Reaction score
If you don't have an nicely shaped head, work out, and you'll look badass.
Do you mean "Badd Ass"? You'd need a goatee with that shaved head to do the Stone Cold Steve Austin look. You'd have to have "ass" emblazoned on yours shirts also. This would probably be streetwear. I don't know how I know this. I'm gonna go read Thoreau now.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(LA Guy @ May 25 2005,20:49) If you don't have an nicely shaped head, work out, and you'll look badass.
Do you mean "Badd Ass"? You'd need a goatee with that shaved head to do the Stone Cold Steve Austin look. You'd have to have "ass" emblazoned on yours shirts also. This would probably be streetwear. I don't know how I know this. I'm gonna go read Thoreau now.
Sure you are. You know that you are really either watching WWE on UPN or a DVD of old UFC fights.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
or holding onto the your remaining hair and going for the Alan Flusser.
you mean like in his photos where his hair's all flussed up?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads