• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cut

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was getting a trim at the local old school barbershop, with a twirling barber pole outside. The barbers there were deriding places like Fantastic Sam. They claimed that those people didn't know how to cut hair, because they were 'cosemotolgists.'

What is the diff between the costemologists and barbers, and which one would be better? Is it even worthwhile to go to a salon if I have really thick, coarse hair? Think of a brillo brush. Can a better hair person make that big of a difference with hair like this?

Brian SD

Reaction score
A cosmotologist is one who studies the art of beauty, if I remember correctly. You'll have good and bad experiences with both ends. I am not sure that I consider Fantastic Sam's to be really higher end as far as that goes.. but then again there are a ton of famous independent salons here in San Diego, so Sam's may be the best you can get in smaller / less Californian cities. I've never had my hair cut at a barber's place with a spinning pole. I wouldn't have anything really against it, but naturally I would be afraid of coming out with a comb-over or something equally lame and simple. Just because you go to a trendy stylist doesn't mean you have to have your hair styled into the shape of a helicopter.
wink.gif

kidkim2

Reaction score
esquire.--

Cosmetologists, at least here in California, are licensed to provide services that used to be the province of "beauticians" and "barbers."  As I understand it, any cosmetologist should be able to cut male as well as female hair.  But find one with extensive current experience, as evinced by a number of male clients.

The most important point is this: Your difficult hair is not a reason to avoid a highly-skilled hairdresser.  Au contraire.  It is the best possible reason to seek one out.  

Regards,

Mike

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think cosmetologists are general practice people. They cut hair, do facials, chemical peels, waxing, etc.

I don't know what Fantastic Sam's is but Frederic Fekkai, and Bumble & Bumble are very fine salons.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
I'm thinking of trying a local barber shop here for the first time in a long time. Looks like a conservative, flag-waving place. Hope I don't come out with side walls and a brain implant that makes me salute Dubya.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just don't let 'em cover your eyes with the steam towel when they lay you back for the razor...

dacs7

Reaction score
One of the best reasons to go to a more expensive place, at least for a few cuts, is that you might get a smart stylist who can lead you in the best direction for your hair type.  At least then, when you go other places, you have a better idea of what "instructions" to give, and what products work best for you.  For instance, for thick 'brillo' hair, if they thin it out, that might help.  I have sort of thick hair with a natural waviness, but with a good haircut and a quick shot of the hairdryer in the morning, you'd never guess.

I used to go to barber type places in college-- and honestly they gave some of the worst cuts.  It's always a bad sign when they use clippers in place of scissors.

Oh, and fantastic sams is basically a barber shop too- not much better at all. The previous post mentioned fekkai, and they tend to be very good (and expensive)-- but their hair products are excellent.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I recently tried a few different options:

- Go to high end salon, or what qualifies for one here in DC. Haircut and tip, $90.
- To to mid-range salon, $30.
- Cut my own hair.

The differences in the results between the three weren't particulalry significant, IMHO. So now, I cut my own hair. It comes out more or less the way I want it. I use a Wahl clipper set and then go over the entire thing with a thinning shears to give it some texture and interest. Takes me about 20 minutes--much less time than going to a stylist.

Montecristo

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that takes an amount of bravery that i just do not possess.
cry.gif
/andrew

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's one thing if the cut you are going for requires every hair to be in the right place. But since most modern styles are going for a somewhat more disheveled appearance, why not cut it yourself?

The idea popped into my head when I asked a very expensive stylist to try to see if he could cut so as to minimize a cowlick I have on the side of my head. He said, "I want to leave it alone because it gives you are more natural look." Well, if that's the case, then I don't need the guy.

Montecristo

southerncollegeboy

Reaction score
I cut my hair myself too.
The key in getting over your initial fear is to just start out conservatively, not taking big chunks off. Then cut a little more until satisfied, and know when to stop.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I cut mine as well. After years of practice it now always looks better than it ever did going to various barbers, stylists, etc. Luckily my hair is perfect for it. If I was trying to go for a Republican look I don't think I could do it myself.
smile.gif

bryce330

Reaction score
I generally cut my own hair in the front and on top and go to a barber for the back and sides.

For those of you who cut the whole thing yourself, how do you do the back?

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, since I'm using clippers to start things off, general length isn't a problem. The, as I mentioned before, I thin it out with thinning shears for some texture. That doesn't need to be done very carefully. The last step is to clean up the back so it's relatively even. I use a mirror for that. I've only really screwed it up once.
smile.gif
My girfriend was able to fix it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads