• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Had sleeves shortened on two blazers - button positioning?

suitstudier

Reaction score
I've just had the sleeves on two blazers shortened.

I assumed, when getting this done, that the job involved moving the buttons further up the sleeve.

Instead, they've left the buttons in place, so that now the buttons are right at the end of the sleeve.

Have they done this wrong? Every time I've researched this alteration I've found out that it's worthwhile, inexpensive, and that it involves moving the buttons. Has the tailor done it badly or is this to be expected?

Quesjac

Reaction score
I've just had the sleeves on two blazers shortened.

I assumed, when getting this done, that the job involved moving the buttons further up the sleeve.

Instead, they've left the buttons in place, so that now the buttons are right at the end of the sleeve.

Have they done this wrong? Every time I've researched this alteration I've found out that it's worthwhile, inexpensive, and that it involves moving the buttons. Has the tailor done it badly or is this to be expected?
Are the buttonholes functional? If so, they obviously can't be moved without an ugly job to close up the buttonholes.

I would expect a tailor to move them, but also to ask you exactly what you want, because there are a few options, from cheapest to best:
1. Leave the buttons as they are (your situation)
2. Move the last button only, making it into the first. Or just remove the button entirely, eg. go from 4 button cuff to 3.
3. Remove all the buttons, re-attach all of them in the right place.

I typically get #3, but if it's 0.5" or so and there's room to spare I personally don't mind #1.

suitstudier

Reaction score
Are the buttonholes functional? If so, they obviously can't be moved without an ugly job to close up the buttonholes.

I would expect a tailor to move them, but also to ask you exactly what you want, because there are a few options, from cheapest to best:
1. Leave the buttons as they are (your situation)
2. Move the last button only, making it into the first. Or just remove the button entirely, eg. go from 4 button cuff to 3.
3. Remove all the buttons, re-attach all of them in the right place.

I typically get #3, but if it's 0.5" or so and there's room to spare I personally don't mind #1.

Thanks. Yes they are blazers with non-functioning buttons.
How much do you pay for (3)?

Thanks

Quesjac

Reaction score
Thanks. Yes they are blazers with non-functioning buttons.
How much do you pay for (3)?

Thanks
I think it's a pretty trivial amount more, maybe £0.50 per button to unstitch the sham, move the button and put a new sham hole down, so call it +£4 for two sleeves of four buttons each. The only time consuming thing is unpicking the old sham, so this isn't an especially good deal.

suitstudier

Reaction score
I think it's a pretty trivial amount more, maybe £0.50 per button to unstitch the sham, move the button and put a new sham hole down, so call it +£4 for two sleeves of four buttons each. The only time consuming thing is unpicking the old sham, so this isn't an especially good deal.
OK that's good. So I could take them back and ask them to unpick one of the shams on each sleeve and move the button from the front to the back.

Quesjac

Reaction score
Yes. There might be some grumbling because they may need to open the sleeve up again (depending on how it's lined) but given the miscommunication I expect they will be fine with making the adjustment.

If you just move one button then the shams might be inconsistent --- different machines and different thread --- but this is the kind of thing you can decide if you care about one way or the other.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This can be complicated by the type of stitching used to create the sham holes. Sometimes its very difficult to remove, or to remove without leaving evidence of the shams. Without seeing pictures of the sleeves in question, its impossible to tell if this was a factor. Take it back and ask them about it. Give them a chance to explain their work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads