Had my first shave with a Badger brush today

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Panzeraxe, May 24, 2005.

1. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior member

So, after finally convincing myself that shaving with a badger brush was not just for older men, I bought myself a relatively cheap badger from Barclay Crocker and used it with my Musgo Real shaving cream. The shave? - absolutely amazing - no nicks or cuts - its almost as if something had lifted my hair up and primed it for a shave.

Highly recommended..

Panzer

2. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

You'll never go back.

BTW -- as you're a Wall Streeter (no?) you probably walk by Art of Shaving. Their stuff includes rebadged and marked up stuff from Taylors. Taylors is fantastic and you can order direct from their site. Badger is great but then... when you go silvertip...

3. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

4. petescolari

petescolari Senior member

It isn't...I think I had a seizure after a minute looking at the website. Â The website is this here

5. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior member

Yep - Art of Shaving is pretty close to where I work. Is a silver tip really that superior to regular badger? The price difference is considerable - about 3 Jantzen shirts - which is a parallel currency I use in helping me determine my purchases i.e. I can go with friends to Spark's tonight or buy 3 Jantzen shirts. [​IMG]

6. romafan

romafan Senior member

[​IMG] AoS closed their Wall St. location. You've got to go uptown - Madison around 44th

7. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior member

Yep - I work in Midtown - its close to the Tyrwhitt store if I remember correctly. Panzer

8. mistersurgery

mistersurgery Member

Good prices on Taylor's (and other brands, for that matter) can be found here.

9. PHV

PHV Senior member

A whole set with the shaver thing, the silvertip and a little bowl for your shaving sauce from Art of Shaving is like a grand. I only shave once every 3 days... I wonder if it's worth it.

10. RJman

(mistersurgery @ May 24 2005,15:41) Good prices on Taylor's (and other brands, for that matter) can be found here.
    A whole set with the shaver thing, the silvertip and a little bowl for your shaving sauce from Art of Shaving is like a grand. I only shave once every 3 days... I wonder if it's worth it.
    Madness. Use a normal Mach3 or whatever, just get the silvertip from Taylors; in January and maybe in July they have 50% off sales and you can get them from $30-$100. I use an oversized mug for a shaving mug.

11. ViroBono

ViroBono Senior member

(mistersurgery @ May 24 2005,15:41) Good prices on Taylor's (and other brands, for that matter) can be found here.
    Or just mail-order from Trumpers, whose range is bigger than Taylors; some (including me), think it's the best. My shaving stand came from Penhaligon's, during their sale, and cost me £45 (about $90). Both companies do mail order to the US.

12. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

(PHV @ May 24 2005,18:16)
    Good prices on Taylor's (and other brands, for that matter) can be found here.
    Madness. Â Use a normal Mach3 or whatever, just get the silvertip from Taylors; in January and maybe in July they have 50% off sales and you can get them from $30-$100. Â I use an oversized mug for a shaving mug.
    that's more of less what I did - I picked up a silvertip in a little store in Munich, and I use a regular old mug, no way I am spending a thousand bucks on a shaving stand and bowl.

13. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

I use a badger brush I bought from a catalog for $40, a Mach 3 Turbo, and Art of Shaving soap that came in a wood bowl. All that, plus a suit and 2 shirts from WW Chan would come out to about $1000.

14. Mr Checks

Mr Checks Senior member

Okay, I just bought the entry-level Art of Shaving kit this weekend (follower of trends that I am).

Yes, best, closest shave I've ever had. I think the pre-shave oil had a lot to do with it.

However, a question arises: do all badger hair brushes smell like badger breath? Mine is a bit funky, and I'm willing to upgrade to get rid of the odor.

15. RJman

I think mine stopped smelling like wet dog after a while. Give it time.