• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Had final round interview & was told that offers would be made by the end of the week

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenFrog
ugh. so it's tuesday mid-day and i still haven't heard back.. yesterday was a holiday so i wasn't expecting it but now im starting to doubt that i got the offer.

It is not rude to call and ask. I would do so tomorrow rather than today in case they are about to call you right now (sometimes they save the job offer/decline calls until the end of the day).

That said, there is almost no chance that calling the HR person will hurt your chances, their role is to either have that information or be able to tell you that they don't know yet. There is no freaking way that a top candidate calls to find out, and then the HR person tells the boss "that MFer was so eager, I don't like him". That would be ridiculous.

Also the fact that they haven't called yet doesn't mean good or bad, some HR people are very strict with their deadlines, others aren't and let it lag for days.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ppllzz
you probably didnt get it =/

ime if they don't call you within 1-2 days after the interview, you aren't moving on. if you didn't get the job hopefully they will call you on the day of the deadline, but sometimes they call even later, or not at all.

Took way longer than that to hear back from my current job.

Definitely missed their own estimates of when they would be calling me...Since the OP has already said that this is not some large firm with a very process-driven recruitment season, it is easy to get stuff pushed back.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't call, there is no point in calling and asking. If they want you,they will call, if they don't want you they won't call. Simple as that. I understand that one can be anxious about the outcome and wants to know ASAP but that's your problem to deal with. Don't bother HR or the hiring manager and try to expedite the process.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
dude, I'm in the same boat. I've emailed a follow up 2 weeks later after they did reference checks and am getting ready to call back again. Sometimes companies just take their sweet time, other times no response means you didn't get it. The best thing to do is assume it's being worked out on their end and keep plugging away at other jobs to if something comes back at least you have other options in the meantime.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
I wouldn't call, there is no point in calling and asking. If they want you,they will call, if they don't want you they won't call. Simple as that. I understand that one can be anxious about the outcome and wants to know ASAP but that's your problem to deal with. Don't bother HR or the hiring manager and try to expedite the process.

I strongly disagree.

It cannot hurt you to call--this is past the date they said they would contact you and if they would fault you for calling to check in, you probably do not want to work there. In fact I heard my boss mention today that she had blown off a candidate basically because she got busy and hadn't had time to think about it (we are not hiring out of desperation and the person in question may have been soon to graduate and thus not even available to start for a few months). Calling will only put you back in their mind and show interest.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
That said, there is almost no chance that calling the HR person will hurt your chances, their role is to either have that information or be able to tell you that they don't know yet. There is no freaking way that a top candidate calls to find out, and then the HR person tells the boss "that MFer was so eager, I don't like him". That would be ridiculous.

I don't think it would hurt his chances for an offer; it may, however, diminish his negotiating leverage once the numbers are on the table.

tesuquegolfer

Reaction score
I would call. I take the approach that if someone says they are going to do something by a certain day/time and they don't do it, I take matters in my own hands. I would start off by saying, "I was told I would get a call by Friday and when I didn't hear from you, I thought I should call". Maybe she called a wrong number and left a message, maybe she lost your contact info... Good luck!

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
I strongly disagree.

It cannot hurt you to call--this is past the date they said they would contact you and if they would fault you for calling to check in, you probably do not want to work there. In fact I heard my boss mention today that she had blown off a candidate basically because she got busy and hadn't had time to think about it (we are not hiring out of desperation and the person in question may have been soon to graduate and thus not even available to start for a few months). Calling will only put you back in their mind and show interest.

I don't see how that will benefit you and if the company or the hiring manager forgot and/or didn't have time to think about the candidate,I'd think twice whether or not I would want to work there.
Plus,you might be losing all the leverage in case you have to negotiate with them.The way I see it,as long as you sent them a thank you note within a day or two,you are fine.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ugh. It's nearing the end of the business day and still no call.

Plus I just heard news that one of my friends received an offer at a different company (I'm happy for her!) but this just makes me feel even MORE anxious. ugh.

I WANT A JOB.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No.

They said you would be hearing from them by a certain date. That date is now several days past. If you are interested in the position, you call.

This isn't some stupid dating game where you can't decide if you should call some girl. You are beginning a professional relationship with someone--it would be completely understandable if you already worked there and someone told you they would get you some information by a certain date if you rang them up and said "Hey Johnson, did you get a chance to review the XYZ report?"--this is the exact same situation. If you are not dealing with some dedicated recruiter, there are probably 50 things on their mind that might come up and preempt making the call (remember, for them it is more than a simple phone call...they aren't going to make the call until they have an offer package prepared and ready to send).

Worst that could happen is that you call and they say "sorry we have decided to pursue other candidates" and then you can hang up the phone and stop thinking about it.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
No.

They said you would be hearing from them by a certain date. That date is now several days past. If you are interested in the position, you call.

This isn't some stupid dating game where you can't decide if you should call some girl. You are beginning a professional relationship with someone--it would be completely understandable if you already worked there and someone told you they would get you some information by a certain date if you rang them up and said "Hey Johnson, did you get a chance to review the XYZ report?"--this is the exact same situation. If you are not dealing with some dedicated recruiter, there are probably 50 things on their mind that might come up and preempt making the call (remember, for them it is more than a simple phone call...they aren't going to make the call until they have an offer package prepared and ready to send).

Worst that could happen is that you call and they say "sorry we have decided to pursue other candidates" and then you can hang up the phone and stop thinking about it.

Would an email be okay to send? I've never corresponded with her on the phone -- all the interview scheduling and correspondence all took over email. The only time I talked to her over the phone was when I had my first round phone interview with her.

She's also not an HR person, but an Analyst.

I've sent thank you emails to everyone who interviewed me during the final round, and only one person responded, thanking me for my note.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenFrog
Would an email be okay to send? I've never corresponded with her on the phone -- all the interview scheduling and correspondence all took over email. The only time I talked to her over the phone was when I had my first round phone interview with her.

She's also not an HR person, but an Analyst.

I've sent thank you emails to everyone who interviewed me during the final round, and only one person responded, thanking me for my note.

If you're going to reach out to them, I would recommend a phone call to the analyst. An email is too easy to passively ignore.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
It is shockingly common these days across all manner of industries that candidates who do not receive offers are simply not contacted. I think it's really bizarre, rude, and inconsiderate, but I guess few of those companies are in a position where the kind of ill will that that generates among candidates is going to ever hurt them.

+Infinity

Originally Posted by Huntsman
My father once got an offer two months after the day. He'd already accepted another job and we all laughed about it.

~ H

Something similar happened to me this past year. After an initial round of interviews, I was told I'd hear within a week. Starting a couple of weeks later, I pinged them regularly for several months, until I finally gave up. A couple of months later a recruiter tried to get me in for the same position - radio silence. 6 months later I get a call with an offer. I literally laughed at the guy (having left the industry entirely by then).

I'm not sure there's really such a thing as "too eager" when it comes to getting a job. Persistence pays - give them a week to get their **** together, then start checking in with the recruiter once a week until they tell you what's going on, or to **** off.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
+Infinity

Something similar happened to me this past year. After an initial round of interviews, I was told I'd hear within a week. Starting a couple of weeks later, I pinged them regularly for several months, until I finally gave up. A couple of months later a recruiter tried to get me in for the same position - radio silence. 6 months later I get a call with an offer. I literally laughed at the guy (having left the industry entirely by then).

I'm not sure there's really such a thing as "too eager" when it comes to getting a job. Persistence pays - give them a week to get their **** together, then start checking in with the recruiter once a week until they tell you what's going on, or to **** off.

A week? So I should wait until the end of this week and call them next week if they still haven't notified me?

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Give 'em a call. "I'm calling to check in and see the status of that job we talked about". It's likely it went to someone else and they didn't call you. But calling and saying the above is fine. They might be on the fence between 2 people and your initiative and interest might sway them. Doubtful, but it might.

I called somebody about 2 months after a phone call interview... and said, "hey, whatever happened to that position - is it still open?". It was, and I was the only candidate then... since I reminded them about it. I got the job 'cause I called them.

There is NO problem in calling them a week after they said they'd call you back last Friday. It's ******* business.. give the bastards a call and check in. They don't have the upper hand on you... if you have skills they need then they need you. If not, then you won't get the job anyway. So call and see what the hell is up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads