Had an appoint with Mytailor.com yesterday...my review

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dshin, Dec 10, 2007.

1. dshin

dshin Senior member

I went and saw Ram Keswani in Birmingham, MI. I took my dad to get him some custom shirts for X-mas.
    Overall I was satisfied...a huge selection of fabrics at great prices. One thing I didnt like though is he never wanted to talk about prices. I wanted to get my dad 4 shirts and keep the costs below a certain level so I initially didnt want to look at the sea island cottons b/c I know that they cost a lot more...he just kept saying just pick out what you want and i will give you a good deal. Personally I like to know what costs what.
    But all in all, I got 4 shirts for my dad (white and blue with FC, 2 plaid patterns) for under $350. And I even got a couple for myself for $150. 4 were 2 ply sea island cotton, and a couple were just regular 2 ply cotton. I think the minimum is 4 but he will do 2 if you insist. We'll see in 6-8 weeks how they turn out. But the prices are definately pretty good.

2. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Would you happen to know if they have any linen-cottons?

3. dshin

dshin Senior member

No I dont. Sorry.

4. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

He's got a couple dozen Thomas Mason linen choices, solid and patterned, but no blends that I'm aware of.

5. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Ok - thank you.

6. Panzeraxe II

Panzeraxe II Senior member

They do have some nice linen- cottons - check out the Monti section on their website

7. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

I just received my first order from MyTailor this week. 2 shirts and a sports jacket.

I met up with Joe Hemrajani while on a business trip to Portland and he did my initial measurements. The sports jacket is good. It has some minor fit issues that need to be adjusted, but overall I'm satisfied with it as a first attempt.

The shirts were great, fitwise, right out of the gate. I ordered one in a white with blue stripes, with button down and barrel cuffs that it great. The second was supposed to be a cream with spread collar and french cuffs. It came out more yellow than cream. I'll take some of the responsibility for that one since I picked out the fabric, although I thought that we both knew I was looking for more of a cream.

I was wearing a custom shirt from a local shirtmaker (that also uses a HK shop), so he had something to measure and look at and make changes to. That probably helped a lot to get the fit right on the shirts. The fit is a bit better than I've been able to get with my current shirtmaker so far.

The big difference is the price. I found one fabric in Joe's books that I had just had made up at my local shirtmaker that cost $165. Joe's price for the same thing was $100. Huge difference. For the jacket, I was considering a local custom clothier that uses outside cutting and sewing (in Canada). A fully hand made jacket with no fusing (similar to the MyTailor product) was $2,000. Joe's price was $800.

When Ram Keswani came through Dallas in November I ordered a new topcoat from them, so now I'm waiting for it to come in. Hopefully around Christmas.

8. dshin

dshin Senior member

Ram actually had me take off the custom shirt that I was wearing to get some of the measurements. I am hoping that this will lend to the right fit as well. But I kinda felt stupid standing there topless with 2 old guys in the room [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. username79

username79 Senior member

Does he use really thick (e.g. cardboard) interlinings in the cuff and collars like other lower-cost shirtmakers?

10. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

11. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

Does he use really thick (e.g. cardboard) interlinings in the cuff and collars like other lower-cost shirtmakers?

No. In fact he'll do either soft (no fusing) or fused, your preference. I have a fused collar on the one I'm wearing, but it's not particularly cardboard-like. In fact, it's still fairly soft. Just a bit "cleaner" look.

12. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

I met with Joe Hemrajani in November and ordered a couple of shirts. Fabric was out of stock on one but the other arrived and I'm wearing it today. Shirt seems comparable to Chan with maybe a little cleaner stitching. The standard medium spread collar has a slightly longer point than Chan's and came with very nice brass collar stays. The collar I like. The stays I left at home so I wouldn't set off any courtroom metal detectors. (Is brass magnetic?) Fit seems good but I had brought with me to the appointment a Chan shirt for Joe to measure, so no real surprise. Cuffs and collar are neither soft nor stiff. I made no special request so I assume this is his standard interlining. The fabric is a pink gingham check Thomas Mason. Price was around $125 so about the same as Chan. All in all, at first glance, I would rate mytailor comparable to or slightly better than Chan for shirts but with a much better selection of fabrics.

13. kbuzz

kbuzz Senior member

Yes that is why i havent ordered any more. I dont know if the cardboard is a cost saving thing or just the way they do it. But I really dont like them. Otherwise i have some very nice fitting shirts.

Maybe someone on this forum who has coming appt. with JH will ask him to offer a different interlining option

14. the etruscan

the etruscan Senior member

If you don't specify otherwise, he does. If you specify otherwise, he does not, or that was my understanding from a conversation. Mr. Hemrajani suggested fused cuffs and collars and I requested non-fused, and softer than the ones his nephew was wearing. What I received was exactly as specified.

15. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Yes that is why i havent ordered any more. I dont know if the cardboard is a cost saving thing or just the way they do it. But I really dont like them. Otherwise i have some very nice fitting shirts.

Maybe someone on this forum who has coming appt. with JH will ask him to offer a different interlining option

I have ordered about half a dozen shirts from Joe.

None of them have fused collars or cuffs. So far I've gotten mostly a medium interlining (the first one had a stiffer one that I didn't like much).

This next batch will have mostly soft interlinings.