• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Had alteration performed on a coat. Now it's sorta messed up. Opinions

crpz32

Reaction score
I have this Jcrew University coat with thinsulate lining (size M) I purchased about 5 years before, which I favor. However, once I discovered how to wear properly fitted clothing, I realized it was huge on me. My well fitting suits have shoulder measurements of 18-18.5", and this coat had a shoulder measurement of 20"!! The shoulders drooped, so it didn't look as bad, but still.

Well since there's no Jcrew to purchase another one (and I had didn't want to deal with just getting a SM via mail order, as I'm really between a SM and a M) , I took it to my tailor to see what he could do. He told me that messing with the shoulders would be a no-no, and told me he would cut the jacket vertically, straight down the center back, and take off a few inches from there. It sounded good at the time and I went ahead with it.

It turned out okay, the jacket is definitely fitting me better. However, I realized that only the back side had been narrowed down, and the front width is the same!?? So now I can see slight bunching up in the front, just around my upper chest areas. Anything I can do about this?
I was thinking of perhaps relocating my front coat buttons about an inch sideways, to have a greater overlap between the left and the right side (kinda like double-breasted coats, but definitely not as much).

Thanx in advance.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Moving the buttons might help. I generally don't like to have the buttons moved, but if it's not too much, then moving them may take care of the problem.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads