• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Had alteration performed on a coat. Now it's sorta messed up. Opinions

crpz32

Reaction score
I have this Jcrew University coat with thinsulate lining (size M) I purchased about 5 years before, which I favor. However, once I discovered how to wear properly fitted clothing, I realized it was huge on me. My well fitting suits have shoulder measurements of 18-18.5", and this coat had a shoulder measurement of 20"!! The shoulders drooped, so it didn't look as bad, but still.

Well since there's no Jcrew to purchase another one (and I had didn't want to deal with just getting a SM via mail order, as I'm really between a SM and a M) , I took it to my tailor to see what he could do. He told me that messing with the shoulders would be a no-no, and told me he would cut the jacket vertically, straight down the center back, and take off a few inches from there. It sounded good at the time and I went ahead with it.

It turned out okay, the jacket is definitely fitting me better. However, I realized that only the back side had been narrowed down, and the front width is the same!?? So now I can see slight bunching up in the front, just around my upper chest areas. Anything I can do about this?
I was thinking of perhaps relocating my front coat buttons about an inch sideways, to have a greater overlap between the left and the right side (kinda like double-breasted coats, but definitely not as much).

Thanx in advance.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Moving the buttons might help. I generally don't like to have the buttons moved, but if it's not too much, then moving them may take care of the problem.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 236 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 117 15.8%
  • 31 - 40