• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hacking (slanted) Pockets

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really like the look of slanted pockets with a slanted ticket pocket on heavy tweed sports coats. My question is whether that pocket configuration is appropriate or proper on a sports coat made of tropical wool. My guess is yes, that the weight of the cloth does not matter. But I wanted to solicit opinions before I place an order. Thank you.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I ... wouldn't. It's a riding coat detail. I think it would look out of place. Patch pockets are a better alternative for summer odd jackets.

lisapop

Reaction score
No hard and fast rule regarding angled pockets, and even if there were, rules are made to be broken. I own light weight sport coats with angled pockets, with and without ticket pockets. You might also want to think about patch pockets, which lend themselves nicely to lighter weight cloth.
Grayson

lisapop

Reaction score
Coincidentally, Savile Row's Henry Poole's "slant" on angled pockets with lighter cloth can be seen with this sport coat, made of a lighter weight cloth intended for Spring and early Summer... http://www.henrypoole.com/latestnews.html Grayson

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not nearly the maven that either Manton or Marc Grayson is, but I vote with Manton. I would never put hacking pockets on anything but a relatively heavyweight jacket. I am inclined to think this whole hacking pocket *** ticket pocket thing is being overdone these days anyway.

Manton, I don't know if you caught my post over on the Andy Forum on the Blazer Buttons thread, but I did want to give you a personal note of thanks for steering me aright to specify patch pockets on the SB blazer I ordered from W.W. Chan yesterday.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Manton, I don't know if you caught my post over on the Andy Forum on the Blazer Buttons thread, but I did want to give you a personal note of thanks for steering me aright to specify patch pockets on the SB blazer I ordered from W.W. Chan yesterday.
Missed it. But I love patch pockets, especially on odd jackets, especially on SB odd jackets. I have several jackets and a few suits with patch pockets; it's a great look. Enjoy.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree with Grayson. There's nothing wrong with a hacking pocket on a medium or even lightweight worsted. As long as it looks good.

lisapop

Reaction score
Angled/slanted pockets are of the moment from a "fashion" standpoint, at least in the US, and no doubt will fade in time. However slanted pockets originated out of the need for riders to place things in their pockets, and remove them, with ease while straddling a horse.  Don't know about others, but I ride even in the Summer, and my Summerweight jackets, yes, even blue blazers (ooooh, he broke another rule.) have slanted pockets.  As does everyone else.  It's really not a big controversey.  So, if you think about it, unless on riding gear, slanted pockets on clothes of any weight cloth really are a complete affectation.  And, that is my slant on the issue.  
Grayson

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Coincidentally, Savile Row's Henry Poole's "slant" on angled pockets with lighter cloth can be seen with this sport coat, Â made of a lighter weight cloth intended for Spring and early Summer... http://www.henrypoole.com/latestnews.html Grayson
After years without an update, Poole has some new web material. Another wonder of the modern age.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Question: on a patch pocket jacket, is the breast pocket supposed to be also a patch or a regular pocket?  Thanks.
Either is OK. Patch is preferred, I think. With some cloths and construction techniques, a welt breast pocket is a better idea.

lisapop

Reaction score
Question: on a patch pocket jacket, is the breast pocket supposed to be also a patch or a regular pocket? Thanks.

Yes, if you go with patch pockets, the breast pocket would be a patch, too.
Grayson

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(lisapop @ Mar. 21 2005,18:23) Coincidentally, Savile Row's Henry Poole's "slant" on angled pockets with lighter cloth can be seen with this sport coat, made of a lighter weight cloth intended for Spring and early Summer... http://www.henrypoole.com/latestnews.html Grayson
After years without an update, Poole has some new web material. Another wonder of the modern age.
lol.
biggrin.gif
Jon.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
(Will @ Mar. 21 2005,22:07) After years without an update, Poole has some new web material. Another wonder of the modern age.
Sadly, it's the check promotion... for last year.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads