• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hacking Pockets with a Blue Blazer

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my W.W. Chan letter yesterday. I would like to have two blazers made up for me in the near future, one in the Black Watch tartan (if Chan can supply the fabric at reasonable cost) and a blue blazer. I am undecided between DB and SB in the blazer. However, my wife has expressed a strong distaste for the DB and I would like to keep the peace when it comes to my extravagances. Which brings us to the single-breasted blue blazer. I thought I would would go with black metal buttons for a more subdued look appropriate to a man of my mature years. I thought to make my new blazer more distinguished (and differentiated from department store blazers) I would specify angled hacking pockets and a ticket pocket.

HOWEVER, the thought then occurred to me that since hacking pockets derive from riding apparel and the blazer is nautical in origin, I might be creating a horrible hybrid--neither fish nor fowl--and committing a stylistic crime akin to showing up at brunch at the yacht club in foxhunting "pink." (Don't let me get started about the sartorial holocaust I witnessed the last time I went to a yacht club luncheon--I was almost the only man wearing long pants or leather shoes.)

Anyway, paging Manton or some other "Speaker of the Law": Are hacking pockets and a ticket pocket with a blue blazer a stylistic monstrosity or merely a manifestation of individual stylistic panache, as I had originally hoped?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I will pass over the "Speaker of the Law" bit without comment.

Yet, speaking for the law, I say that this should not -- must not -- be done, for the reasons you mentioned. Straight flapped pockets (on a DB) or patch (SB) only.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the quick answer, Manton, and for setting this matter straight. Agreed, it MUST not be done. I am eagerly awaiting your book.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess I'm in violation, then.

My Belvest MTM navy blazer has a ticket pocket...and MOP buttons. No hacking pockets, though.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
A ticket pocket on a DB blazer with flap pockets is OK.  Hacking pockets on blazers are a serious no-no all the way around.

Brian SD

Reaction score
but hacking pockets look so cool. i want a black blazer with white pinstripes, single breasted, 3 button, peak lapel, with super roped shoulders, hacking pockets, ticket pocket, two lapel holes, gold buttons, 5 buttons per sleeve, extreme waist supression, dual vents, pick stitching, two breast pockets, and it rolls to the second button.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
There's a picture of that coat over on pimpdaddy.com. Chuck can find it for you.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
but hacking pockets look so cool. i want a black blazer with white pinstripes, single breasted, 3 button, peak lapel, with super roped shoulders, hacking pockets, ticket pocket, two lapel holes, gold buttons, 5 buttons per sleeve, extreme waist supression, dual vents, pick stitching, two breast pockets, and it rolls to the second button.
That would be a tacky coat.

The only way to save it would be flap pockets on the breast pockets (preferably buttoned flaps) and to make it a five button with the lapels rolling to the fourth button. You would also want to ensure that the five buttons are spaced instead of kissing, and that only the even numbered buttons are functional.

Brian SD

Reaction score
There's a picture of that coat over on pimpdaddy.com. Chuck can find it for you.
People actually bought those 70s suits with lapels that practically stick out over the shoulder seams. good god.

Reaction score
I can understand why one would not chose hacking pockets with a traditional blue blazer. But how about a blue velvet blazer intended for more casual wear? I recently chose hacking pockets and an out ticket pocket on a velvet blazer that Darren Beaman botched. I'm going to have one made locally here in DC and am leaning toward the hacking pockets again. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Carson

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads