• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hacking Pockets on Suits

bjm

Reaction score
Hi

Newbie here, but long time lurker. I recently ordered my first Mr. Ned suit and I requested hacking pockets and ticket pocket on my lessers wool/cashmere grey charcoal stripe two button suit.

Love the look of hacking pockets but have 2 questions:

1- Is it acceptable to have slanted hacking pockets on a business suit?
2- What is the proper direction of the slant? i.e, should pockets slant downwards or upwards?

thanks
Brian

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They should slant up toward the front of the pocket. It's not a conservative detail, so it may depend on your line of work.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In theory I dislike them on suits, so I wouldn't get one myself. In practice, I have never actually noticed anybody's pockets.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love them on suits, have 3 or 4 suits with hacking pockets, and wear them for all kinds of business meetings, etc.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yfyf is really the only person I've wear them well on a consistent basis.

bjm

Reaction score
This is my first MTM/Custom suit so I am hoping that it will work. I get what you mean though. Its a bit of a gamble on my part, well see. Attached is a photo of a Paul Stuart wool/cashmere blend and I think it looks good. Not hacking but with ticket pocket.

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I've seen hacking pockets look good on a few suits worn casually, but usually find them jarring with conservative office wear. If everything else is vanilla, they just look stuck on. The suit needs shape to it, at least.

Sebastian

Reaction score
I love them on suits! Most of my suits have slanted pockets, only one with additional ticket pocket though.

To be honest, pocket style is one of the first things I look at, when choosing a suit.

newtrane

Reaction score
For suits, definitely only straight pockets and no ticket pockets.

People that have these details on a suit often leave their working buttons undone etc.

For sports jackets, slanted pockets are fine (and sometimes even desirable).

fight[1].gif

smmea

Reaction score
slant pocket suits are no good suits, while ticked pockets only on high end suits look good.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I like them, but only have them on a couple of sports jackets.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
yfyf is really the only person I've wear them well on a consistent basis.

+1. Though on a wool-cashmere fabric with lots of textural interest perhaps the country metaphor will work. Going with a ticket pocket and hacking pockets seems a bit much for me though.

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
They should slant up toward the front of the pocket. It's not a conservative detail, so it may depend on your line of work.

I sell hacking style ticket pockets for a living.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads