• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hackett AW2010

RJE

Reaction score
After seeing a few Hackett AW2010 shots on Recent non-sart shots, I popped into a couple of Hackett stores in London on the weekend. Not all items are in stores yet; I liked many of the pieces already in. The Italian-made shawl-collar cardigans are beautiful, as were some of the sports coats. Sometimes the branding is getting too prominent, but it's generally restrained/invisible.

Sportscoats were around £400; cardigans around £170. If your budget doesn't stretch this far, I looked over the latest Marks & Spencer sportscoats while sheltering from the rain recently - not bad. Nice range of solid basics, some patterns, around £89-£129, a few very decent pieces up around £250. Sized fairly big though.

The full shoot is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hackettlondon/

These visits also reminded me that Hackett staff are generally very well-dressed and helpful.

Highlight pieces (some repetition from Recent non-sart shots). Not sure about the DB cardigan though.

hackett14.jpg
hackett11.jpg

hackett13.jpg
hackett12.jpg

hackett10.jpg
hackett4a.jpg

hackett16.jpg
hackett15.jpg

hackett9.jpg
hackett5.jpg

hackett8.jpg
hackett2.jpg

hackett6.jpg
hackett1.jpg

BlackShoes

Reaction score
Some of those checks look smashing, but they don't list all their jackets on the website unfortunately.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what's the overall quality of the Hackett pieces?

RJE

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
what's the overall quality of the Hackett pieces?

Polo without the poor Polo stuff. They don't have different lines the way RL does, and I've found sometimes the trousers can meet RLPL standards. Higher-priced knitwear often reminds me of BBBF. Like Polo, pieces can vary from OK to very good.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sportcoat quality is not very good. Stiff fabrics, boxy cuts, pre-cut working buttonholes. I doubt they're canvassed.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm really digging this Hackett sportcoat:

4910735348_ef95c85460_b.jpg

The piece is still to be released, but it looks like most Hackett sportcoats go for around $600. Way out of my price range.

Does anyone know of any labels that might have something similar to this? I dig the hidden tab collar and elbow patch pockets.

Also, I'm leery of buying things that deviate too far from classics, as I think they too easily go out of style. Does anyone have an opinion on whether this thing might be too trend driven? I'm sort of skeptical of the elbow patches. It seems like that just came in this fall.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
I'm sort of skeptical of the elbow patches. It seems like that just came in this fall.

They have been around for decades.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
They have been around for decades.

Yes, but I came across more than a few old threads on here, when I did a search, where members frowned upon them. Can't seem to find the links now, unfortunately.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hackett24.jpg
^ This is one of those looks that's awesome if you have a job selling stacks of newspapers in a major city very early in the morning...in the 1920s.

HHD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
I'm really digging this Hackett sportcoat:

4910735348_ef95c85460_b.jpg

The piece is still to be released, but it looks like most Hackett sportcoats go for around $600. Way out of my price range.

Does anyone know of any labels that might have something similar to this? I dig the hidden tab collar and elbow patch pockets.

Also, I'm leery of buying things that deviate too far from classics, as I think they too easily go out of style. Does anyone have an opinion on whether this thing might be too trend driven? I'm sort of skeptical of the elbow patches. It seems like that just came in this fall.

It's in the Paris stores, I don't know if it will appear on the website. It's a shooting jacket in a very nice fabric (by Fox Brothers). It's cut relatively slenderly so I doubt you'd do much shooting in it unless you shoot from the hip! I like it a lot but it's a bit too country to wear around town.

As for the patches, Hackett has been using these a lot recently. I don't know if it's a trend thing or not to be honest, though I am seeing them around Paris a lot more than before. To be honest it looks better on this coat than on Hackett's sports coats.

I have neither the time nor tenacity to argue with my fellow Parisian but suffice to say I do like Hackett's sports coats and tweed jackets. They're not canvassed as a rule, but the fabrics are good and the cut contemporary without being too faddish. I have several and they're among my favourite jackets. I'm not overly impressed by the quality of Hackett's other products, though. As ever, they become infinitely more attractive during the sales.

HHD

Reaction score
Those models are horrible. One looks severely mentally challenged and the other like an Auton.

k4kick

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HHD
Those models are horrible. One looks severely mentally challenged and the other like an Auton.

I'd agree with that!

Although Hackett don't have different lables like RL they just try to do everything with the one label. A couple of the pieces above are ok but we all know that Hackett make all they money from selling polo shirts with the logo all over it. Having said that, I've got a couple of merino wool jumpers from them, no logos and a great fit.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HHD
It's in the Paris stores, I don't know if it will appear on the website. It's a shooting jacket in a very nice fabric (by Fox Brothers). It's cut relatively slenderly so I doubt you'd do much shooting in it unless you shoot from the hip! I like it a lot but it's a bit too country to wear around town. As for the patches, Hackett has been using these a lot recently. I don't know if it's a trend thing or not to be honest, though I am seeing them around Paris a lot more than before. To be honest it looks better on this coat than on Hackett's sports coats. I have neither the time nor tenacity to argue with my fellow Parisian but suffice to say I do like Hackett's sports coats and tweed jackets. They're not canvassed as a rule, but the fabrics are good and the cut contemporary without being too faddish. I have several and they're among my favourite jackets. I'm not overly impressed by the quality of Hackett's other products, though. As ever, they become infinitely more attractive during the sales.
I dunno, I can't get excited about Hackett, try as I might. I visit their outlet twice a year and the sportcoats are almost-but-not-quite tempting, even at around 300 € a piece. I often find the construction inelegant to the point where it hangs awkwardly off my frame like a paper bag; the shoulders in particular are quite built up. Even the coats using Loro Piana fabric seemed stiff to me and didn't drape well in front of the mirror. I suspect cheap materials and/or workmanship. What really gets me is the patterns; they are nearly -- but just short of being -- really attractive in terms of colour and pattern choices, but something inevitably makes them slightly garish or cheap-looking, like a Zara product. I'm not trying to start an argument btw, I am just very picky about what I buy. I agree that some of the looks posted above are quite nice, which makes it frustrating for me whenever I visit the store. For comparison's sake, Facconable (which occupies a slightly higher price bracket than Hackett but is aiming for basically the same market) tends to offer nicer pieces on the whole, even if it lacks the tweedy English charm of the latter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads