• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

H1n1

Sharlatan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZackyBoy
What? That is absolutely not true.

Actually it is true, I just finished a month of infectious disease at my pediatrics rotation and everyone who tested positive for influenza A was assumed to have H1N1, because this isn't quite seasonal flu "season" just yet...also I would say that at least half of the patients in the entire children's hospital, and probably 80%+ on the ID floor, had H1N1. And yes, the major concern is getting a bacterial superinfection causing pneumonia.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
N1
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend is an au pair at the moment for three children. The middle child (8) was diagnosed, took tamiflu, and was back in school within a couple of days.

I'm not too concerned about this "pandemic." I wash my hands religiously and if I cant get to a bathroom where I could effectively wash my hands I use hand sanitizer. Us Americans tend overreact when it comes to these types of things.

ZackyBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sharlatan
Actually it is true, I just finished a month of infectious disease at my pediatrics rotation and everyone who tested positive for influenza A was assumed to have H1N1, because this isn't quite seasonal flu "season" just yet...also I would say that at least half of the patients in the entire children's hospital, and probably 80%+ on the ID floor, had H1N1. And yes, the major concern is getting a bacterial superinfection causing pneumonia.
You're telling me 98% of people with a flu right now have the H1N1? I can't see that as probable... not to mention they aren't actively even testing for H1N1 in most people (according to my doctor) because it's too time consuming so it would be impossible to confirm regardless.

Psyren

Reaction score
I was watching the news and there are people lining up around blocks for a vaccine here in Canada. Am I the only one that's worried about a T-Virus like aftermath?

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fredfred
Except that HIV pretty much a preventable disease. We know how to prevent transmission.

True, but the thing is why should we have to worry so much about it when we ********. Let's not make this something that could either make your life amazing or make it ******* suck for decades to come.

ZackyBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Psyren
I was watching the news and there are people lining up around blocks for a vaccine here in Canada. I'm I the only one that's worried about a T-Virus like aftermath.

Brb re-watching zombie movies for tips.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sharlatan;2606265 said:
everyone who tested positive for influenza A was assumed to have H1N1
Make an ass out of you and me, this is the kicker here, no evidence or proof, just blind assumption because the symptoms (which are very similar to normal flu) add up. I remember on the WHO website there were first assumptions of 3,000 odd infected, then the next day it went to 200 after 'further testing' established that most people did not in fact have it.

It's still a pandemic, sure, but I think people are making it out to be worse than it is.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Psyren
I was watching the news and there are people lining up around blocks for a vaccine here in Canada.
That was for Gordon Lightfoot tickets.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My stance is don't play dice with disease. People are ******* idiots.

"I'm not going to get the flu shot, I don't think it's a life threatening disease."

The flu shot in Canada is free, and there is enough for every single Canadian. Regardless if you think it will kill you or not, would you rather spend a half hour to go ensure you won't get it than very possibly get it and feel like **** for a few days? Seriously people need to stop being idiots. The HIV comparison is good, yeah you can have unprotected sex in the US and only have a 1% chance of getting HIV. Since your chance is small, don't wear a condom? Your chance of dying from swine flu is approximately 1% according to current wikipedia data (0.91%,) you only have a 1% chance. Refusing the flu shot is as about intelligent as refusing to wear condoms.

Don't play dice with your life.

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sharlatan

That's why my dad was in the hospital.
Look at this CDC link:
http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/update.htm

bigasahouse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZackyBoy
You're telling me 98% of people with a flu right now have the H1N1? I can't see that as probable... not to mention they aren't actively even testing for H1N1 in most people (according to my doctor) because it's too time consuming so it would be impossible to confirm regardless.

I work in the ER, and all cases of flu are being considered and treated as H1N1. There is a fast test for influenza that comes back in 15 minutes, but it doesn't say if it is specificly H1N1. That test takes weeks to result. Almost everything that is being sent off comes back as H1N1, but we aren't sending it out routinely because of the time delay.

Seasonal influenza normally does not start hitting until Jan or Feb.

The funny thing is that unless you have some underlying disease, you are old, you are really young, or you are so sick you need to be in the hospital- everybody gets sent home with nothing. You just have to tough it out.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
My stance is don't play dice with disease. People are ******* idiots.

"I'm not going to get the flu shot, I don't think it's a life threatening disease."

The flu shot in Canada is free, and there is enough for every single Canadian. Regardless if you think it will kill you or not, would you rather spend a half hour to go ensure you won't get it than very possibly get it and feel like **** for a few days? Seriously people need to stop being idiots. The HIV comparison is good, yeah you can have unprotected sex in the US and only have a 1% chance of getting HIV. Since your chance is small, don't wear a condom? Your chance of dying from swine flu is approximately 1% according to current wikipedia data (0.91%,) you only have a 1% chance. Refusing the flu shot is as about intelligent as refusing to wear condoms.

Don't play dice with your life.

I get the logic but there's a difference between putting on a johnny and sticking a needle with a foreign and relatively new poison in your veins, I trust to some degree that tamiflu is safe, but I don't want to take the risk of it causing any issue or corruption to my body, just like any drug. I am more then happy to take something that is tried and true if necessary such as an antibiotic or seasonal flu shot, but when it comes to a new vaccine or treatment of some sort for something that is quite rare, I think the risk of something going wrong with the vaccine could be greater than the risk of getting what the vaccine is preventing you from. Also 60% of people who have taken the vaccine have experienced stomach aches, nausea, headache, fever, similar symptoms to the flu within the first few days, which I'm sure clears up and is probably due to the body reacting to a foreign substance in the blood, but could be the signs of something worse, and isn't exactly something you'd get from putting on a rubber.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've done an internship working on vaccine development. I understand the way they are created and work.

Vaccines are not new technology, the H1N1 vaccine is the same as the seasonal flu vaccine with a different strain. Except in a few countries where it is adjuvanted. The quality and sterility standards for vaccine production are higher than in any other industry and I trust vaccines completely.

Stop buying into media sensationalism and get protected. I hate arguing with people who have no idea of the product development, testing, and production methods nor any knowledge of the science behind it. Go work in the industry and then come back to me with your bullshit.

And if you have a latex allergy, for example, putting on a rubber could be pretty ******* bad. But that's not the condom company's fault.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics